• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Can't move selections into Collections

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocTock

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
I've selected images in one folder and used the "Attribute" to narrow down to specific flagged photos with the goal to then move them into a Collections sub-folder.

For whatever reason I cannot seem to be able to move them into that folder.
I've tried:
- the cntrl-a to select all then I try to drag and drop
- a single file drag & drop
- dragging to main "collection" folder (not sub)

NOTHING works!!!

HELP!!!! I know this should work. What am I missing? / Doing wrong?

You need to click and hold on the actual image when doing "drag and drop", NOT dragging from the grey frame around the image. Could that be the problem?

The most common 'mistake' here, is that you must click and drag the actual thumbnail portion of the cell. Clicking and dragging the gray border area doesn't work.

As I said, that's the likely problem (everybody encounters this one once). If not, let us know, and we'll take another crack at it.

If you click and drag the thumbnail, the cursor icon should start behaving like you're dragging photo(s) and the target should give an indication by an insert bar, that it's about to receive a drop.

Great! Thank you for the help!
I tried the suggestion to "grab" from the image only. At least now I get the image of a stack of images that are to be moved.
Unfortunately, my already established destination folder in the Collection area does not do anything other than blink the arrow once, then points the arrow "down".
No images are "added" to that folder.

I've tried this into a second, already created folder in Collections - same result.
Tried with 1, several, all images with same effect.

Of note: I do get the little green + if I try to move the images to anyplace in "Folders"

Last edited:
Great! Thank you for the help!
I tried the suggestion to "grab" from the image only. ...my already established destination folder in the Collection area does not do anything other than blink
You probably are trying to drop images into a "Collection Set" not a Collection Also you can't drop images onto a Smart Collection. Collections and Collection Sets are not nested folders. Think of these as "Buckets" where only the lowest nested level Bucket can contain images

You probably are trying to drop images into a "Collection Set" not a Collection Also you can't drop images onto a Smart Collection. Collections and Collection Sets are not nested folders. Think of these as "Buckets" where only the lowest nested level Bucket can contain images

Bingo! That was exactly the problem.
I had set the Collection up as a Set.

Thank you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back