1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

Canon 5D mark III raw not supported (yet)

Discussion in 'Managing your Photos & Video' started by rjalex, Apr 30, 2012.

1. rjalex

rjalex Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.5 / CC 2015.5
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual License
    Wonder if the in-camera 5 star rating will carry to LR :) More in general do I corretcly understand that when a new camera is released Adobe must build an "importer" for that particular RAW format ?

I now own LR4 but I wonder if the newer cameras are going to be supported in the previous LR release (LR 3.6 for example).

Thanks

2. Denis de Gannes

Denis de Gannes Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.6 / CC 2015.6
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Yes LR has to build a profile for processing the raw files from each new camera. Support for the Canon 5D mk111 has been provided in the LR 4.1 RC.
    Since there has been a new version of LR, Adobe will not provide further updates to version 3.
    A work around is to use one the latest DNG converters available, I think the Version 6.7RC available at Adobe Labs can be used, to convert the CR2 raw files to DNG and then LR 3.6 will be able to import. Retain a copy of your original raw files.
    I am not a 5D Mk111 user so maybe another user could comment.

3. rjalex

rjalex Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.5 / CC 2015.5
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual License
    Thanks Denis, you confirmed what I thought I had understood. :) Take care.