1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

Any way to automate a complex "convert to JPG" task ?

Discussion in 'Managing your Photos & Video' started by rjalex, Apr 30, 2012.

1. rjalex

rjalex Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.5 / CC 2015.5
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual License
    I have just decided that based on my needs and tagging habits I should convert every image that matches all of the following:
    • RAW file
    • Rating > 0 and <=2 (so ratings of 1 and 2 stars)
    to a JPG of the original resolution with the same name.

I would be very happy if after a succesfull conversion the CR2 file got DELETED (yes I know what I'm doing, at least I think eh eh eh).

Is there a way to automate the following other that making an attribute selection, selecting all resulting photos, exporting them to a known template and then reapplying the selection to X (mark for deletion) and then Cmd-Backspace them into oblivion ?

Thanks in advance for spotting out mistakes or suggesting better ways.

2. Victoria Bampton

Victoria Bampton Lightroom Queen / Owner Staff Member Administrator Moderator Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.5 / CC 2015.5
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    You could create a smart collection with those criteria. When you're ready to convert, select all, drop them into a quick collection (so you can easily delete them after), export and then delete the originals.

That said, I don't rush to recommend deleting originals.

One other thing you might consider is converting them to the new lossy dng format. The file size is pretty close to a JPEG, but you retain a bit more editability (good word, eh?!) than you would with a JPEG. It depends on how important compatibility with other programs is, as it's a pretty new format, but if you're mainly using them in LR then it could be a good option.

3. rjalex

rjalex Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.5 / CC 2015.5
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual License
    Thanks Victoria,
    this sounds as the best course of action.