Any way to automate a complex "convert to JPG" task ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjalex

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
I have just decided that based on my needs and tagging habits I should convert every image that matches all of the following:
  • RAW file
  • Rating > 0 and <=2 (so ratings of 1 and 2 stars)
to a JPG of the original resolution with the same name.

I would be very happy if after a succesfull conversion the CR2 file got DELETED (yes I know what I'm doing, at least I think eh eh eh).

Is there a way to automate the following other that making an attribute selection, selecting all resulting photos, exporting them to a known template and then reapplying the selection to X (mark for deletion) and then Cmd-Backspace them into oblivion ?

Thanks in advance for spotting out mistakes or suggesting better ways.

You could create a smart collection with those criteria. When you're ready to convert, select all, drop them into a quick collection (so you can easily delete them after), export and then delete the originals.

That said, I don't rush to recommend deleting originals.

One other thing you might consider is converting them to the new lossy dng format. The file size is pretty close to a JPEG, but you retain a bit more editability (good word, eh?!) than you would with a JPEG. It depends on how important compatibility with other programs is, as it's a pretty new format, but if you're mainly using them in LR then it could be a good option.

Thanks Victoria,
this sounds as the best course of action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back