1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

After moving catalogue LR cannot see file location even after being shown

Discussion in 'Lightroom Troubleshooting (ARCHIVE)' started by Rich P, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Rich P

Rich P New Member

I moved my catalogue (LR 3.3) form pc to a new Mac Pro, using the procedure set out in Victoria's blog. The catalogue appears to have moved just fine, but when I try to work with any image file, they all have the little question mark indicating that LR cannot locate the image file. I click on it & show LR where the image file is, locating it on the external hard drive where I keep all the files. It refuses to use that file, giving me an error message: "the file 'xyz.NEF' is already associated with another file in the catalogue'. Then to bring matters further into the twilight zone, it offers a button to click to 'show in library' (presumably show the "other" file it thinks is associated with that name), if I click it it takes me back to the original thumbnail which still has the question mark. How do I get LR to see the files?

2. b_gossweiler

b_gossweiler Lightroom Guru Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Rich,

Try right-clicking (I think ctrl-click on Mac) on the top level folder in your folder panel, choose "Find missing Folder" and point it to the folder where the files reside. This should re-connect all the images within that folder structure. Repeat for other top-level folders if you have more than one.

Beat

3. Rich P

Rich P New Member

Hi Beat, thanks for your suggestion but I think you may be mistaken about this. Right clicking on the top level folder does not provide "find missing folder" 'as an option.

Any ideas anyone? I cannot reach adobe on the phone (several hours wait time) and I am getting no response to my support inquiry on their website.

4. Victoria Bampton

Victoria Bampton Lightroom Queen / Owner Staff Member Administrator Moderator Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.6 / CC 2015.6
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Hi Rich

I was just about the reply to your blog comment, but it's far easier to chat here. Can you post a screenshot of your folders panel?

5. b_gossweiler

b_gossweiler Lightroom Guru Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Rich,

Also, can you hover with your mouse over the content of the Folder field in the metadata panel, and see what path LR shows for a missing image there? How does it compare to where you think the photo resides?

Beat

P.S: Thought I put in this post already a few hours ago, but it somehow has gone walkabout :(