Adobe Lens Profile Creator - target alignment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medoomi

Hi,

I'm wondering if someone could direct me. I'm hoping to use the Adobe Lens Profile Creator to create a profile for a 16mm rectilinear lens. The instructions say to take multiple pictures of the target, while panning the camera L-->R, up-->down.

Doing this is going to mean slight changes in the focal distance (due to the perpendicular focal plane when the lens is panned).

Would profile generation potentially work better if instead of panning the camera, I moved the target on a flat wall (aligned with the focal plane), into the different quadrants to generate the profile?

Incidentally, the instructions for the profile creator show masking tape for shifting the feet of the easel Adobe used, which seems to indicate that while it's a more difficult task, keeping the target in the *same* focal plane would serve profile generation better.

Does anyone know if this seems right?

Thanks!

They're pretty specific in their instructions, so I'd stick to them. They say:

Keep the chart stationary, but try to tilt and move the camera between the shots instead. Here is one typical framing sequence:
a. First shoot centered straight on.
b. Tilt the camera up, thereby effectively framing the chart at the bottom-center of the image.
c. Tilt camera down, thereby effectively framing the chart at the top-center of the image.
d. Move camera a bit to the left (so that when turning to the right to face the chart, it is about 10 to 30 degrees). Take a series of shots similar to the first three, above, except that the chart is framed at the center-left, top-left, and bottom-left areas of the image.
e. Move camera to the right, and do the same for the center-right, top-right, and bottom-right areas of the image.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer Victoria.

Your advice sounds reasonable. I'll definitely give it a go, maybe troubleshoot both ways :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back