7D Not Recognized by LR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
I have had no problem downloading from my 5D lll, but today I when I wanted to download my 7D...it was not recognized and I was unable to download. Anyone else have this occur?

What is the exact error message?

I have had no problem downloading from my 5D lll, but today I when I wanted to download my 7D...it was not recognized and I was unable to download. Anyone else have this occur?
In addition to Hal's question. How are you trying to get the image files to LR to import. Your choices are to connect the camera via USB (not recommended), use a built in card reader, use a USB card reader connected directly to the computer via a USB cable, or use a USB card reader connected via a USB hub.

If you are running a version go LR that supports your camera, you can isolated the possible hardware problems by replacing the components one at a time to identify the hardware that is causing the problem.

1. Camera Card is failing — try with another card.
  2. Card reader is defective — try a different card reader.
  3. USB cable is defective — Try a different USB cable
If you can see the image files in Finder, try using Finder to copy the files to the primary disk and try importing from there.

There is no error message. When I connect my 5D, it shows in the "sources" menu...when I connect the 7D...it does not show up at all. I am shooting raw..I am transferring via USB.

As an after thought, I changed the USB cable out....Now the 7D loads properly.. Anyone recommend a good card reader??

There is no error message. When I connect my 5D, it shows in the "sources" menu...when I connect the 7D...it does not show up at all. I am shooting raw..I am transferring via USB.
You should use a card reader. Using the camera as a card reader is problematic. The camera needs to have a fully charged battery and be on to function. This means a shorter life for your battery than if you only use the battery to take photos. There are only so many charge cycles to a lithium battery. If the battery is old it may not have enough power to reliably drive the camera as a card reader.
USB cables can get damaged and not provide adequate power to transfer image files. Try a different USB cable.
Use a card reader (my first suggestion). If LR is not detecting the Camera card, try transferring with Finder (it is not so particular about having a good connection) and import from the Hard Drive.

There is also a communication setting in the camera. I can't remember if it has to be ptp or normal but it might be switched

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Here is a summary of some of the card readers available.

Best memory card reader for photographers: 6 top options tested and rated: Page 2 | TechRadar Note...see page 1 and page 2 of this review.

I seriously recommend using a card reader rather than a usb cable from the camera to the computer.
1. Much faster and more efficient.
2. If travelling, you can be using this time to be re-charging your battery rather than discharging it.
3. Less likely to damage the ports on the camera or drag your camera off a desk, etc. because of trailing cables.

I would try to make sure a card reader was usb 3.0 or usb 3.1 compatible and try and find the fastest usb port on your computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back