Thread: export operations not performed - the file could not be written

export operations not performed - the file could not be written

I'm getting quite frustrated at LR or Win7, not sure which to blame. Essentially every time I try and export photos (like I have since LR 1...) I get a message saying "some export operations were not performed" and "the file could not be written". When and how many files it flags this for varies.

But here's the strange thing: it does write the jpegs as requested (the exported files), but windows won't let me open them via usual viewer until I close LR. Says another program still has them open.

Is this a user/permissions issue in Win 7-64? Is it a catalog issue? Hardware? I've never had this happen prior to LR 3...

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    More than 8gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    ATI
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    HP

Re: export operations not performed - the file could not be written

Geoff,

Welcome to the forum

Do you have any PlugIns active which could affect your export? If so, try disabling them. Can you show a screenshot of your Export Dialog here? Can you copy a file into the same directory in WinExplorer?

Beat

Beat Gossweiler

Canon 1Ds MkII | Canon 5D MkII | CANON EF 24-105mm F/4.0 L IS | CANON EF 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6L IS | CANON EF 100mm F/2.8 Makro
    HP Color Laserjet CP3505X

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    LR Version
    I am having a similar problem getting a message..."the file could not be written". I have about 117 RAW format that I have modified in Lightroom 3.5. The last 50 of these files can't be exported by Lightroom. Never had this sort of problem before.

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon D800E/D810
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Canon
    Jwaymack, Welcome to the forum. Often this is an indication that your drive where temp storage is located is over capacity. You should have at least 10% free space available at all times for utilization by working storage. Also, I you re exporting to a EHD, make certain that the drive has the necessary write permissions. If you have an EHD formatted NTFS by another computer, the default permissions on the EHD revert to Read Only if it is attached to another computer.