Thread: Synchronize Folder greyed out

Synchronize Folder greyed out

I have a series of folders that are shown in red in the folder list, indicating that LR can't view them. The effect is that the folder can't be synchronized and I can't move images into the folder. Other folders in the same list are OK.

I've tried "locating a missing folder" and it re-linked it OK and the folder name turned white; however, when I clicked on that folder again it turned red again. The half dozen folders that are already white, stay white when clicked on - ie they don't get "lost".

Also tried creating a new catalogue from scratch: set up a folder with 2 sub folders, put pictures in each, imported everything OK. The top level folder stayed OK, and allowed images to be moved into it, but the 2 subs turned red.
    Also when synchronizing the top level folder, it did not recognise (and import) a new file that I had copied into it using another application.

I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate and version 1.3.1

any help on this much appreciated!
    Thanks
    David
    David Galloway[/COLOR] Dell Dimension 9200; Windows Vista Ultimate; 1TB Raid array; external LaCie drives; NEC 2690; latest version LR; CS3
    www.davidgallowayphotography.com

Lightroom Guru
    Memory
    3gb - 4gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Pentax
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Offsite Photo Lab

You may have a bad cable connection to this drive. Is it Firewire or USB? Check the connections, it may be loosing contact and thus LR thinks it is off-line.

Also please Fill in your signature with complete System, OS, Gear etc so as we can better answer your questions on down the line. (See User CP in Navbar above).

Don
    Don Ricklin, MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4Ghz Duo 2 Core, 4Gb RAM, 250Gb SATA HD, 10.6.4 , LR V5.3, Assorted Firewire & USB2 SATA Back-up Drives.
    Gear: Pentax K-7, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5; 75-300 and 175-500, Zigview R
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' .... 'Oh, you mean Nancy'!

Thanks Don
    The folders are on the internal HD - which is working 1''% as far as I know.
    None of the folders are critical to me at this stage - so would you recommend re-installing LR?

David
    David Galloway[/COLOR] Dell Dimension 9200; Windows Vista Ultimate; 1TB Raid array; external LaCie drives; NEC 2690; latest version LR; CS3

Lightroom Guru
    Memory
    3gb - 4gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Pentax
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Offsite Photo Lab

Might be worth a try.

Don
    Don Ricklin, MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4Ghz Duo 2 Core, 4Gb RAM, 250Gb SATA HD, 10.6.4 , LR V5.3, Assorted Firewire & USB2 SATA Back-up Drives.
    Gear: Pentax K-7, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5; 75-300 and 175-500, Zigview R
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' .... 'Oh, you mean Nancy'!

Lightroom Queen / Owner
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None

I wondered about catalog corruption, but David said he's tried a fresh catalog and the same thing happened with these folders so that seems unlikely.

David, I know you said the same thing happened when you imported some of THOSE files - what happens if you import files from another drive? Same thing or do those work? I'm wondering about the folders themselves - Don, wasn't there something about compressed folders not working properly a while back?
    Victoria

Lots of questions? Adobe Lightroom 5 - The Missing FAQ Book available now - PDF, ePub, Kindle & Paperback Discount code: LRF2011

Website: Lightroom Queen Blog - Follow me on Twitter as @LightroomQueen - Find me on Facebook

Victoria, you may have cracked the problem - LR seems to be OK when importing from different drives. The drive causing the issues is the internal Raid drive, which as far as I know is in A1 shape. I guess I could run a disc validation on the drives and see if that does it.

Thanks to you and Don for the help.
    David

Lightroom Queen / Owner
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None

Well I'm very pleased that's narrowed it done David! Now just got to figure out how to fix it!
    Victoria

Lots of questions? Adobe Lightroom 5 - The Missing FAQ Book available now - PDF, ePub, Kindle & Paperback Discount code: LRF2011

Website: Lightroom Queen Blog - Follow me on Twitter as @LightroomQueen - Find me on Facebook