Thread: file is offline or missing

file is offline or missing

I am very often getting the message " file is offline or missing" when I want to develop images in Lightroom 2.

The source of my pictures is on an external HD. I have checked that the ex.HD is working as it should.

Does anyone know the solution to my problem ?

Lightroom Guru
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    More than 8gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Epson

Re: file is offline or missing

Welcome to Lightroom Forums!

Did you rename the folder where the image is or the image itself outside of Lightroom by any chance? If you right-click such a photo and choose "Show in finder" it will also tell you that it is missing but at the bottom of the dialog box it will tell where the image was previously. This can give a hint...
    Denis Pagé

Gravity won't let you down...

No I didn´t rename the folder.When I open it in finder it tels me that it can not be found.

Lightroom Queen / Owner
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None

Hi paal, welcome to the forum!

You're pretty close Denis - try the Go to Folder in Library command in that same right click menu. Does the folder have a question mark on it? Does that folder path still exist?

If that doesn't do the trick, can you post a screenshot of your Lightroom Folders panel, and the same path in a Finder window? It's far quicker when we can see what you're looking at.
    Victoria

Lots of questions? Adobe Lightroom 5 - The Missing FAQ Book available now - PDF, ePub, Kindle & Paperback Discount code: LRF2011

Website: Lightroom Queen Blog - Follow me on Twitter as @LightroomQueen - Find me on Facebook

yes, the image have a question mark on it. And it´s written that the file is missing. But it´s not missing. I have it on my external HD. I can´t imagine that it has to be on the computers HD.

Lightroom Queen / Owner
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None

Ah ha! Ok, was it on the external hard drive in exactly the same folder when you imported it into LR? It sounds like you may have moved it since importing, and LR doesn't know where you've put it now, so you have to click on that question mark and point it to the location on the external drive.
    Victoria

Lots of questions? Adobe Lightroom 5 - The Missing FAQ Book available now - PDF, ePub, Kindle & Paperback Discount code: LRF2011

Website: Lightroom Queen Blog - Follow me on Twitter as @LightroomQueen - Find me on Facebook

yes,that can be the answer. I am pretty shure I have moved most of the pictures since I first put them in there. I usually move them to folders with a suiting name for the picture. I will check this later.

But I must say I think this is a little stupid system. Thought LR should make things easier ?

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon D800E/D810
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Canon

[quote author=paalholden link=topic=9513.msg64226#msg64226 date=127'938642]
    But I must say I think this is a little stupid system. Thought LR should make things easier ?
    [/quote]LR does make it easier. But it can only know about file operations IF they occur in LR. LR only keeps pointers to file locations. If you move a file or delete a file and don't tell LR, then LR gets confused. It is smart enough to tell you that you did something to the files and did not tell it. Hence the "?".

Yeah, ok. But I assume it is usual that photographers almost every day moving things around in their hard disks. Or ?

Lightroom Queen / Owner
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None

Most photographers don't move things around their hard drives all the time - there are risks in moving files, with higher chances of corrupting them. Ideally you'll want to put things in the right place the first time.

If you do need to move files after you've imported them into LR, you can either do so using LR's own interface, dragging them around between folders and they'll also move on disc, without anyone losing track of them, or you can do as you have done, and move the files with another program and then tell LR where you put them.
    Victoria

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon D800E/D810
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Canon

I'm surprised that no one has thought to refer you to The Starter Kit. It is a good place to cover the basics, the Do's and Don'ts and the Gotchas. Lightroom like any other program has it own set of 'rules'. And unlike any other image processing program, it requires a paradigm shift in thinking to understand Data Asset Management. The sooner you understand the uniqueness of LR, the better you will be able to prevent mistakes due to following the Old way of doing things. Don't worry, most of us have made stumbles like this too. It is one of the reasons for The Starter Kit.

No, there is spmething wrong here. I took some pictures yesterday. Loaded it in to LR, worked with some of them for a while, and then wanted to continue with the work today. Again, the "files are offline or missing" . I didn´t do anything with the files since yesterday.

My god, this is anoying.

Lightroom Guru
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    More than 8gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Epson

Is your external drive configured to shut itself down after a few minutes of inactivity?...
    Denis Pagé

i really don´t know, but it sounds like that. After a while not using any files from it, it makes no sound anymore. Could that be it ?

Lightroom Guru
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    More than 8gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Epson

That could be. Look for the power saving preferences on you Mac... I am too new to Mac myself to guide you with more details but I would look either at the general preferences where you configure printers among other things or at the disk utility.
    Denis Pagé