Thread: Transfer photos to External Hard drive

creativepro

Transfer photos to External Hard drive

I would like to transfer my photos to my external harddrive.

However I do not know how to organise the Lightroom 2.. preferences to use the external hard -drive.

1. Is there any difficulty in assessing these photos?

2. What would be the best method to do this?

3. What are the pros and cons on using a external hard-drive for photos?

4. Do I need to set-up anything on my mac computer - other than Lightroom in relation to the above?

I have a Mac 1'.5.5., Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom 2.1

thank you

Sue

Experience
    Power User
    Main OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    8gb
    CPU Cores
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    File Format
    Raw

Quote Originally Posted by creativepro;3'81'
    I would like to transfer my photos to my external harddrive.

However I do not know how to organise the Lightroom 2.. preferences to use the external hard -drive.

1. Is there any difficulty in assessing these photos?

2. What would be the best method to do this?

3. What are the pros and cons on using a external hard-drive for photos?

4. Do I need to set-up anything on my mac computer - other than Lightroom in relation to the above?

I have a Mac 1'.5.5., Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom 2.1

thank you

Sue
    Sue,
    1. No
    2. Are they in one top level folder with subfolders? If so just move the top level folder and then relink that in LR after the move. If there is no top level folder, add one using the + in the folders panel and put all you other folders in ti, then move.
    3. Maybe a bit slower but that's what I use and have no problems. Frees up the in/out of the internal for use with accessing the catalog (a+)
    4. No

Enjoy youself........ that is compulsory.
    Nice to se another Ocker !!:lol::lol:
    Geoff Walker,
    New Zealand.

creativepro

Transfer photos to an external hard-drive

Thanks for your response

1. Would you mind explaining in more detail the following. I don't mind if you explain it like you are talking to an 8 year old. Though I think an 8 year old would have much more understanding than a 62 year old

Are they in one top level folder with subfolders? If so just move the top level folder and then relink that in LR after the move. If there is no top level folder, add one using the + in the folders panel and put all you other folders in ti, then move.

2. Be grateful if you could also advise how to set up my Lightroom preferences to send photos to external hard-drive

thanks

Experience
    Power User
    Main OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    8gb
    CPU Cores
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    File Format
    Raw

Quote Originally Posted by creativepro;3'819
    Thanks for your response

1. Would you mind explaining in more detail the following. I don't mind if you explain it like you are talking to an 8 year old. Though I think an 8 year old would have much more understanding than a 62 year old

Are they in one top level folder with subfolders? If so just move the top level folder and then relink that in LR after the move. If there is no top level folder, add one using the + in the folders panel and put all you other folders in ti, then move.

2. Be grateful if you could also advise how to set up my Lightroom preferences to send photos to external hard-drive

thanks
    Give yourself a break Sue, you are asking the right questions before you act, very wise !!
    See on the screen shot how I have on the Mybook 75' drive a folder "2''8 Image Files". This is a top level folder and contains all the folders below it.
    The second level folders are 2''8-'1, 2''8-'2 and inside the 2''8-'2 folder you can see sub - subfolders with days.
    Hope that helps.
    2. There is no need to set up any preferences, if you mean on import, you do that in the import dialogue menu which will be self explanatory.

Just sing out if I'm not too clear, most of the stuff is just a habit for me these days.
    Geoff Walker,
    New Zealand.

creativepro

Hi Geoff

Thanks for your confidence. At this stage just one question before I call it a night.

You mention screenshot - where do I access this - unfortunately it is not obvious to me - must be missing something - or just confused?

regards

Sue

Experience
    Power User
    Main OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    8gb
    CPU Cores
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    File Format
    Raw

Oops, sorry Sue - I was tired and headed off to bed having forgotten to upload the screen shot !! Had been up since 4.3'!
    Here it is
    Geoff Walker,
    New Zealand.

creativepro

Thanks

regards

Sue

I cannot figure it out...

I know I changed the settings to have my new additions go into my external hard drive, but after having updated within the past few days, it suddenly went back to my C drive - and now I cannot find how to change it back to my external.

Also, I want to import all of the photographs that I had in catalogs under 1.4 into the same spot as where the rest of them are - or will be when I get it set up right.

Help, please?

Lightroom Queen / Owner
    Experience
    Power User
    Main OS
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Other OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw

In the Import dialog Enli, you should find the destination folder to put them into.

The photos that are in 1.4 catalogs - did you have adjustments on them? Did you want to import your 1.4 catalogs and settings, or just the photos into the new catalog?
    Victoria

Lots of questions? Adobe Lightroom 5 - The Missing FAQ Book available now - PDF, ePub, Kindle & Paperback Discount code: LRF2011

Website: Lightroom Queen Blog - Follow me on Twitter as @LightroomQueen - Find me on Facebook