Thread: Target Neutral?

Target Neutral?

Looking for a little clarification on "Picking a Target Neutral" when setting White Balance:

Can you select ANY color as long as the RGB values are identical or very close? Or should it be something gray? If so - what are the ideal values to look for?

I would think any color, as long as it's RGB values are equal should suffice, but I may be missing something... :lol:
    [U]Who was Ansel Adams' Ansel Adams?

Mac G5; OS X 10.4.11; 6G Ram; Dell 2707 LCD monitor; LR 2.2; PSCS3; Painter 10 and other GFX packages.
    Linux and XP boxes also on my network.
    Gallery-site at: http://tsu.sargasso-sea.net[/URL]
    Main site at: http://www.sargasso-sea.net[/URL][/SIZE]

Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    8gb
    CPU Cores
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Epson

Target Neutral?

I use anything neutral which is usually some tone of gray.
    Geoff Walker,
    New Zealand.

Lightroom Queen / Owner
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None

Target Neutral?

When picking a target neutral, you want to be picking something that SHOULD be neutral grey, not that is already though... usually lighter rather than darker works best too.
    Victoria

Lots of questions? Adobe Lightroom 5 - The Missing FAQ Book available now - PDF, ePub, Kindle & Paperback Discount code: LRF2011

Website: Lightroom Queen Blog - Follow me on Twitter as @LightroomQueen - Find me on Facebook

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.8.x Mountain Lion
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    File Format
    Raw

Target Neutral?

Quote Originally Posted by Harrzack;281'
    Can you select ANY color as long as the RGB values are identical or very close? Or should it be something gray?
    If the RGB values are identical, then it is gray (or white or black).

You should click on something that should be gray. You don't go around looking at the values, you look for something that should be gray (snow, paper, a white shirt, etc.) and click on that.

However, you need to be careful about this. Remember that white objects will take on a color cast if they get reflected light from another object -- so a glossy white hat outdoors under a clear blue sky should probably look slightly blue, not white.

Also remember that you want to choose something bright for the best accuracy, but not so bright that any of the channels are clipped. Check for this both before and after clicking.

Last, this will be tougher in noisy images (high ISO, especially). Chroma noise can trick you -- not every pixel of a white shirt will be a shade of gray.

Target Neutral?

[quote=Mark Sirota;2868]If the RGB values are identical, then it is gray (or white or black).

DOH! I <really> did know that -- just had a lapse of consciousness with all the LR features I'm trying to absorb. Tks!
    [U]Who was Ansel Adams' Ansel Adams?

Mac G5; OS X 10.4.11; 6G Ram; Dell 2707 LCD monitor; LR 2.2; PSCS3; Painter 10 and other GFX packages.
    Linux and XP boxes also on my network.
    Gallery-site at: http://tsu.sargasso-sea.net[/URL]
    Main site at: http://www.sargasso-sea.net[/URL][/SIZE]