Thread: Lightroom 5 is very slow, utilizing 100% CPU, and freezing or closing. How do I fix?

Experience
    Beginner
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    16 GB DDR3
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    AMD Radeon HD 6450
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    HP

Lightroom 5 is very slow, utilizing 100% CPU, and freezing or closing. How do I fix?

I am having a problem with Lightroom 5 being very slow, utilizing 100% CPU, then freezing or closing the program. How do I fix it?

I just upgraded to LR5 from LR3 on Sunday as well as CS6 from CS5 (which I have not tried out yet). I spent several hours talking with LR Support Staff yesterday. He was extremely helpful and kind and tried everything he could think of while remote-handling my PC and talking with me on the phone. He deleted preferences, cache, temp files, updated graphics with a new replacement file from AMD site, then re-downloaded and reinstalled LR5.

It is still very slow and then freezes and closes down with a message of utilizing 100% CPU. Within several seconds of using the brush in Develop, I started having lots of problems. I could not even move the picture around. The side screens would not disappear like they should. And I could not move to another picture. The day before I spent several hours trying to work on just 1 picture. After all the changes yesterday, I tried to move from picture number 1 to about 130 after having not touched it for 10 minutes, and a half hour later, it still said, "Processing" with no picture coming up, just a blank prieview pane.

LR Support suggested I get a new CPU though he thought according to specs mine should be ok and other programs were running fine.

My PC is only 2 years old.

I talked to HP briefly about CPU updates for my HP PC. He said I probably do not have a problem but suggested I run self-diagnostics and maybe buy a new CPU anyway.

I ran diagnostics listed through the HP Support Assistant connection on my PC. All was ok.

I still researched if I could buy a compatible CPU upgrade. I cannot even find any CPUs still selling that are listed for my PC. Best Buy Store said they could not even order a compatible CPU. They said my Bus speed may not be big enough, so they suggest I get a new PC. What Bus speed do I need?

I have the following PC Setup:

AMD Phenom II X6 1045T Processor 2.70 GHz with 6 Cores
    with 2700 MHz Base, 3200 MHz Boost, and 4000 System Bus Speed, and 95 watts;

HP Pavilion Elite, HPE-500y, 900 GB Free, new in 2011;

Windows 7, 64 Bit;

RAM 16 GB, DDR3;

Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6450;

Nikon, D200, with Raw Files;

External Hard Drive for Original Photos, 600 GB Free;

LR Catalog and Library are on Main Hard Drive;

Monitor, Sony CPD-200ES, new in 1999.

I am thinking of buying a new monitor soon mostly so I can do better photo work while enlarging the pictures to do it. I am concerned that while it will help my viewing, it will take more power away, and make my usage of LR5 even worse. Will a new monitor affect my performance? I am looking at HP Monitors with IPS. Is this the best recommended choice for LR and Photoshop CS6?

I think I would like to stay with a 6 core processor since I need to have several items open for other non-Photoshop functions. When running LR5, I had everything else closed. With LR3, I was able to have other things open.

I do not really want to buy a new computer and know that those I have talked with at this point are only guessing after looking for what they thought should fix it. 4 People from Lightroom Support have all thought I should not be having problems with my setup.

I bought one of the best computers 2 years ago. Is it really obsolete already so that I cannot use LR5? Is everyone else buying a new PC every 2 years? I used to go 5-7 years.

Even though I have figured out some of what my PC has, I really do not know technically what I am talking about so am at the mercy of other's help. Are there any solutions that might work short of buying a new computer?

I also have taken 40th anniversary photos for some people and am waiting to give them as a free gift since I am not a professional at all. I am hoping to get through this problem soon so that I can provide some nice memories for them.

I have not gotten any further than trying to adjust 1 picture. I have no comments on uploading speed, since I did that while still in LR3.

Thank you for your time and help.

Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.8.x Mountain Lion
    Memory
    12GB
    CPU Cores
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Canon
    I don't think your computer specs are causing your problem. Although I'm on a Mac, I think your setup should be able to run lightroom just fine.
    Also check what other processes outside Lightroom are running that might leave Lightroom too little memory, processing power, or hard disk space.
    And try enlarging your camera raw cache settings (under preferences, file handling). Be sure the cache is on a fast drive.
    Hope this helps.

Experience
    Beginner
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    8gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Sony
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None
    It's always the last resort, but did you consider formatting hard drive with OS and starting with a clean Windows installation? If you have backups of important stuff, then you could try..