LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Epson

HD and Smart Previews vs SSD

Apologies since I have perused the forum, but wanted to check to hear options about Lightroom performance on a standard HD with smart previews vs a SSD (and smart previews, of course).

I didn't see much of speed difference in Lightroom 4 when I moved my catalog to an SSD. I now have my Lightroom 5 catalog on a standard HD with smart previews and perceive that it makes a big difference. I'm wondering if it makes sense to move my catalog back to the SSD or whether I should move the SSD to my laptop to replace its standard HD.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Reid
    Kodak Brownie, Argus 126, Quaker Oats Container Pinhole Camera

Nikon D700 and a bunch of lenses
    PC: Asus P5Q Pro mobo, Q9450, 8 GB RAM, Win 7 x64

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    16GB
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    AMD
    LR Version
    Camera
    Fuji
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Offsite Photo Lab
    I moved my LR5 catalog to SSD for the first time last week and it made a nice increase in Lightroom's performance. I use 1:1 previews at present. I haven't tried smart previews yet but will do shortly.

I'm using a 240GB OWC Mercury Electra 6G SSD which is a fairly new generation SSD so maybe that helps ?
    Nik Player- Blog

When you say moved the catalogs, did you both move them to a different drive letter? I've just rebuilt my system on an SSD and I'm planning to move the catalog to it. At the moment it's on D: but will go to C: I'm not expecting any issues as the image files are staying put on D:. Are there any 'gotchas' I should watch out for?

Thanks
    Dave

Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    12gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    ATI
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    HP
    As the images are staying in the same location, moving the catalog should be fine. Moving the associated previews as well would save you a ton of time rebuilding them after the move (I assume your SSD will have sufficient space for catalog and previews?). Also, after the move, make sure you look at the startup option on the Preferences>General Tab and change if necessary.
    Jim

Desktop: i7-930, 12gb RAM, 2 x SDD, 3 x Internal HDD, Win7 Pro 64bit
    Cameras: 5D MkIII, 7D

Jim, thanks for reply. Yes the SSD size is like for like - taken out a 500Gb SATA and put in 500Gb SSD and right now the old drive was only at 50% used. I didn't think the catalog move would cause any problems but just wanted to double check.

Dave