Thread: lightroom/photoshop workflow question

Experience
    Beginner
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    LR Version

lightroom/photoshop workflow question

I have a scenario that I can't seem to get working the way I want.

Scenario: I edit a file in photoshop with multiple layers (.tiff or .psd). I then add that file to my lightroom catalog and would like to have it automatically updated in lightroom when making changes in photoshop. I know this is possible when using the "Edit in Photoshop" option but I can't seem to get it working when I had the file in photoshop first.

If I import the file into lightroom and then make changes in photoshop the changes are not applied in lightroom. If, in lightroom, I choose "edit in photoshop" then I get a flat image generated from the lightroom file that does not have all my previously created photoshop layers.

Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    8gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    Integrated video
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Canon
    That workflow isn't going to happen, I don't think. The "Edit In Photoshop" feature is designed to use Lightroom first, and then send that image to Photoshop for the finishing touches. I think the only way your idea would work would be to constantly synchronize the folder after finishing your work in Photoshop. But even then I don't know if it would work. I haven't tried it, and don't work that way.

Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    12gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    ATI
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    HP
    As Jim said, the "normal" method of working is to firstly import the photo into Lightroom, then make whatever develop and/or metadata changes there, then when you are done with Lightroom changes and are ready for further work in Photoshop you use the "Edit in Photoshop" feature from within Lightroom. This will pass the file into Photoshop including all Lightroom adjustments for rendering (if your Camera Raw versions are at different levels, the rendering should be done first by Lightroom in which case you will see the Tiff or PSD appear in the Lightroom catalog before being passed to PS). Now you can work on the image in PS, but keep Lightroom open during this time. When done in PS, click on "Save" and the rendered file will be passed back into Lightroom.

Although you cannot see the layers that you created in PS, they are preserved by Lightroom in the Tiff/PSD, and you can continue to pass that file (the Tiff/PSD, NOT the original Raw) back to PS for further editing and the layers will be available there. The only problem with this workflow is if you subsequently decide to make further changes in Lightroom you cannot then pass the changed original Tiff/PSD back to PS without flattening the file and losing the layers.

So as Jim said....do your work in Lightroom first, before starting in PS.

PS: changes made in PS cannot "automatically" be applied in Lightroom....the file has to be saved in PS for the changed file to be recognised by Lightroom.
    Jim

Desktop: i7-930, 12gb RAM, 2 x SDD, 3 x Internal HDD, Win7 Pro 64bit
    Cameras: 5D MkIII, 7D