12 GB
    CPU Cores
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw

Question Best way to learn

I have owned Lightroom for about 9 months. So far I have taught myself the program by watching the Adobe videos by Ms. Kost (excellent videos), reading excerpts of books that are available on-line, reading various websites and blogs. I have also purchased Gavin Seim's Lightroom Ninja videos and have started working my way through those.

I am considering attending Kelby Live Training one-day workshop on Lightroom or perhaps attending a 4 evening course offered by a local photography store. I also expect that Santa is still bringing me one of the Lightroom 4 books that I put on my Christmas list (we won't exchange gifts until this coming weekend).

Has anyone attending a Kelby workshop? Comments, experiences? Would you suggest others attend? How would you rank such a workshop over a 4 evening course by a local store? Both the Kelby course and the local course would cost me about $150 when I include the gas to travel to the Kelby course. Is it worth the investment?

Thanks.
    Win

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Advanced
    Main OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    24GB
    CPU Cores
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Win, in some respects you may be the only one to know the answer to the question.
    If you do well in these sorts of seminars you may find the seminar very good.
    If this sort of learning environment is not your cup of tea you may not get much out of it.
    The Kelby courses do have a good reputation.

Tony Jay

Experience
    Intermediate
    Main OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    8gb
    CPU Cores
    LR Version
    Camera
    Olympus OM-D E-M10, E-PL5 & Sony RX100
    File Format
    JPEG
    Hi,

Having tried several alternatives, I found George Jardines tutorials to be the best.
    Hes a very good teacher and the price is very reasonable.

http://mulita.com/blog/

Among the free ones, I liked Julianne Kost too.

Living in Sweden Kelby Workshops are a bit to far away from me
    Last edited by fullkoll; 1 Jan 2013 at 5:17 pm.
    /Kjell

Intel ALU iMac 21.5"/OSX 10.9/ LR5/ - iPad 3
    Olympus E-PL5, E-M10 & Sony RX 100

Experience
    Intermediate
    Main OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    8gb
    CPU Cores
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    File Format
    Raw
    I found Laura Shoe's tutorials very good. There's a lot of information in them for comparatively little money, plus you can "proceed at your own pace" and repeat any lessons you need to. I would do one or two lessons at a time. I frankly can't imagine learning that much about Lr in a day.

Check out http://laurashoe.com/lightroom-video...deo-tutorials/. They're on sale at the moment, and I think you get 15% off for being a member of this community.

Will

Will

Experience
    Advanced
    Main OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    8gb
    CPU Cores
    LR Version
    Camera
    Sony
    File Format
    Raw
    Check out the instuctors at photo store offered courses. I watched one on youtube done at B&H photo that was 2 hours long and barely covered anything at all. Ive watched other ones from B&H that were great, but that particular one was pretty worthless. I dont think the instructor was prepared at all, and seemed like it might of been the first class he taught as well. Id of been very upset if I had paid to attend that particular one.