Thread: Error message - lightroom cant read my files??

Error message - lightroom cant read my files??

I;ve been importing folders from my external hard drive into lightroom. They are all Raw, dng files and all has been working fine, except for one folder which for some reason LR says it cannot read the files. the preview photos don't show up either. Any idea why I can't import this folder?

Thanks, Hilary

Lightroom Queen / Owner
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None

Hi Hilary, welcome to the forum!

Did Lightroom tell you it couldn't read the files when it was importing them? The error message might give a few clues.

Otherwise, look in Grid mode - are there question marks on the thumbnails of those images? If so, they just need relinking.

If you haven't done anything to those files yet, you could consider removing them and reimporting, and seeing if that'll work now.
    Victoria

Lots of questions? Adobe Lightroom 5 - The Missing FAQ Book available now - PDF, ePub, Kindle & Paperback Discount code: LRF2011

Website: Lightroom Queen Blog - Follow me on Twitter as @LightroomQueen - Find me on Facebook

I can't import the files is the problem , LR won't allow me to bring them in because it can't read them for some reason. and in the import box, all the previews are gray???

thanks, Hilary

Lightroom Queen / Owner
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None

Sounds to me like they're corrupted files Hilary, or files from a camera that's newer than the Lightroom version you're running.

So make sure you're running the 1.4.1 update, tell us what camera, and whether they can be read by Bridge....
    Victoria

Lots of questions? Adobe Lightroom 5 - The Missing FAQ Book available now - PDF, ePub, Kindle & Paperback Discount code: LRF2011

Website: Lightroom Queen Blog - Follow me on Twitter as @LightroomQueen - Find me on Facebook

Same problem with grey previews

Hello Victoria,

I wanted to add that I have the same grey preview problem, have downloaded 1.4.1, use a Nikon D3''. I have imported files from various folders on my hard drive and all photos come up as grey thumbnails. I have not yet been able to view photos yet.

I'm not sure what to do.

Thank you for your help,

Elena

Lightroom Queen / Owner
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None

Hi Elena, sorry to hear you're having trouble too.

So are the grey thumbnails in the Import dialog only, or in the Grid view? What happens if you take one of these images into Develop module?
    Victoria

Hello Victoria - Thank you so very much for responding. I followed someone elses lead and deleted the profile created by my Spyder color mgmt program and added ProPhoto as the default - I can now see my photos upon importing, in the library etc. My photos have no problem being seen/used in Bridge or Photoshop. There is some conflict with calibrating my monitor, using that color profile and viewing the photos in Lightroom. I'm not sure what to do? Use lightroom and no have a calibrated monitor or just go back to Bridge/ACR. Hmmmmm. I'd love any thoughts you might have. Thank you!!

Lightroom Queen / Owner
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None

Try recalibrating your monitor Elena. Lots of other people are using Spyder to calibrate, so there's probably not a problem there, but the profile may have become corrupted, and Lightroom's very sensitive to corrupt profiles.
    Victoria