Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: poor performance- dev module, moving slider

Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    LR Version

Angry poor performance- dev module, moving slider

i have an i7 CPU and have been frustrated with use of the develop module - when i click and hold on a slider, such as exposure, it takes 1-1.5 seconds for each update to be shown on the display. It makes it very difficult to make adjustments due to having to move the slider, wait for results, overshoot, go back etc. I noticed when I am moving the slider, only ONE of my eight cores is being used. it is at 100% where the rest are at under 2-3%.

i am running win 8 RC 64bit , but if memory serves, this was happening on this machine when i was running Win 7 64-bit machine. Can someone confirm this is the current behavior, and if so , why can't these processes be multi-threaded? We are talking about significant performance boost here.. ''

All latest updates for windows and Video card (tried beta drivers also) I have a 7770 video card 1GB video card, 16GB Ram, photos and catalog are on separate solid state drives.

I was excited that 4.1 was listed to address performance issues with development tab. Strange thing is prior to version 4 the performance was not nearly as bad. Photos were converted to v4 lightroom from v3 (no ! is shown.)

Any ideas? I paid for the upgrade, and features are better, but performance is unacceptable. I have ninja IT skills (IT Architect) so let me know if there is anything I can provide to help diagnose.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lightroom2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	2575

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    12gb
    CPU Cores
    More than 8
    Video Card
    ATI
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Epson
    I have your problem too. When I had LR4 I had no problems at all with the sliders though others complained. Now I have LR4.1 and my sliders are now taking effect about 10-15 seconds afterwards.

I have an i7 machine with 12mg of ram. Haven't figured out what the problem is yet.
    Norma

Lightroom Queen / Owner
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None
    Hi cocokola, welcome to the forum!

There were definitely issues in 4.0, but those were solved for the majority of people in 4.1. Your issues do sound excruciatingly slow!

Windows 8 adds a huge question mark into the mix. My initial thought is an incompatibility with that, or with one of the drivers. Graphics would be my first port of call, Wacom tablet drivers have come up too. But the single CPU sounds very odd too.

Do you see the same lags with LR4 set to PV2010? And what settings are you using?
    Victoria

Lots of questions? Adobe Lightroom 5 - The Missing FAQ Book available now - PDF, ePub, Kindle & Paperback Discount code: LRF2011

Website: Lightroom Queen Blog - Follow me on Twitter as @LightroomQueen - Find me on Facebook

Lightroom Queen / Owner
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None
    Norma, have you visited nVidia's website to download the latest drivers for your graphics card?
    Victoria

Lots of questions? Adobe Lightroom 5 - The Missing FAQ Book available now - PDF, ePub, Kindle & Paperback Discount code: LRF2011

Website: Lightroom Queen Blog - Follow me on Twitter as @LightroomQueen - Find me on Facebook

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    12gb
    CPU Cores
    More than 8
    Video Card
    ATI
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Epson
    Gosh, trying to remember when I downloaded the last one...but I will check.
    Norma

Primary OS
    Windows 8 64-bit
    Memory
    32GB
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Lightroom by design is very multithreaded and seems to spawn off processes all over the place. As a rule it seems to use all cores pretty equally and this is under windows x64.
    Canon 7D + 24-105
    Windows 8x64, 32GB RAM, 660GT Video Card
    Job - Windows Server support for a Bank

Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    LR Version

so.. where do we go from here?

Quote Originally Posted by ukbrown View Post
    Lightroom by design is very multithreaded and seems to spawn off processes all over the place. As a rule it seems to use all cores pretty equally and this is under windows x64.
    Of course windows 8 is an easy target here. That is why I am asking others who have lr4.1 to pull up resource monitor, or task manager, pull it to your monitor #2, go to the develop module in LR4.1, and move the slider. Do you see more than one CPU light up?

Like I said, i have all the latest drivers available. Not much else to do there. If others experience this problem in win 7 64bit, then we can remove win 8 from the list of sources. then check video cards.. but ultimately, I would cast doubt on the video card.

Think about it: i am moving a slider that causes LR41 to do calculations. Apparently the awesome power in my Graphics card isn't being used if the CPU spikes like it does. Can someone from the LR development staff chime in here, or do the experiment I showed below? I have a pretty darn fast system, and if this is a problem for all, say, 64-bit users, then you have a serious performance issue that can be resolved.

So can someone from Adobe take a look on their end? Do you want me to run dependancy walker, or Sysinternal tools and look at threads that are hugging cpu? it looks like all the processing is happening on one CPU. i bet you at a 6 sigma level this is a LR4.1 coding error.

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    8gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon, Fuji, Olympus, Canon :)
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Offsite Photo Lab
    cocokola,

Here are my Win 7 results:

Four real cores and one hyperthreading core light up. PV2012. Total cpu usage hits about 25%.

Response is instantaneous. i7-2600. Personally, I strongly suspect that Win 8 is your problem. Whether LR needs tuning or Win 8 has a performance bug can't be determined from the data I've seen so far.

Hal

Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    12gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    ATI
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    HP
    And this is mine, which results from me just moving the exposure slider backwards and forwards to produce a view of the cpu activity during that exercise:

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	167.6 KB 
ID:	2576

As you can see, all 8 cores on my first gen i7 are used.

cocokola, this isn't an Adobe forum and I'm not even sure any of the team drop by any more. If you want to directly address Adobe on your issue, you need to head over to the Adobe feedback site where you'll find several "poor LR4 performance" threads which you can add your voice to (such as this one).
    Jim

Desktop: i7-930, 12gb RAM, 2 x SDD, 3 x Internal HDD, Win7 Pro 64bit
    Cameras: 5D MkIII, 7D

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    12gb
    CPU Cores
    More than 8
    Video Card
    ATI
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Epson
    I'm using Windows 7, not Windows 8. Here is my activity when moving sliders with my i7 machine.

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	16 
Size:	164.4 KB 
ID:	2578
    Norma

Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    16GB
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    HD 5770 1024 MB
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Epson
    cocokola, Norma,

I don't think you're going crazy and I am not convinced that the problem you are experiencing is just a Windows 8 issue. I have found that occasionally I hit some combination of conditions where response time in the Develop module gets quite slow. It is infrequent but quite noticeable as you were describing.

So far I have not been able determine the conditions to reproduce it but I have been able to get back to normal response time by quitting and restarting Lightroom. As Jim suggested follow the threads over on Adobe forums and the feedback site.

-louie

Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    LR Version
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal P Anderson View Post
    cocokola,

Here are my Win 7 results:

Four real cores and one hyperthreading core light up. PV2012. Total cpu usage hits about 25%.

Response is instantaneous. i7-2600. Personally, I strongly suspect that Win 8 is your problem. Whether LR needs tuning or Win 8 has a performance bug can't be determined from the data I've seen so far.

Hal
    Thanks Hal, I appreciate the information. I realized that since I have two licenses for 4.1, I will install on my win 7 laptop which is a i5 and see what happens with the same photos. Your help is very much appreciated!

Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    LR Version
    Thanks everyone. I will head over and replay what we have learned here. I will keep this thread posted, and at least post a link to the support forum. I will also try rebooting and see if that has an effect.

Lightroom Queen / Owner
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None
    That'll be very interesting to see how you get on with the Win7 laptop. I would expect moving sliders to be hitting all cores.
    Victoria

Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    LR Version

partiall solved?

I realized it is possible that affinity was set wrong.. and it was. I opened task manager, pulled up lightroom task, clicked on details, right-clicked and sure enough it was bound only to cpu0. checking the rest of the CPUs woke up this app like you have no idea. Still testing..

-

Lightroom Queen / Owner
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None
    That's brilliant news! I wonder how many other people are affected by that.
    Victoria

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon D800E/D810
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Canon
    Quote Originally Posted by cocokola View Post
    I realized it is possible that affinity was set wrong.. and it was. I opened task manager, pulled up lightroom task, clicked on details, right-clicked and sure enough it was bound only to cpu0. checking the rest of the CPUs woke up this app like you have no idea. Still testing..

-
    I have forgotten about how affinity works in Win7/8. Is this something that a user needs to proactively change or is there a default of no affinity at installation?.

Lightroom Queen / Owner
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None
    I'd only heard of it in passing, so I googled for it and found this: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/win...ance-edge/5322
    Victoria

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    8gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon, Fuji, Olympus, Canon :)
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Offsite Photo Lab
    Cletus,

Normally, on Win 7, a newly installed executable has affinity for all available cores. You can use the Task Manager to set up some smaller subset of cores for a certain program to use, but that only holds true for the running program. The next time you run it, you need to set affinity again.

From what cocokola wrote, I gather that setting affinity in Win 8 lasts even thru closing and re-opening an application.

Hal

Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    12gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    ATI
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    HP
    CPU affinity had crossed my mind, but I dismissed it because, as Hal rightly points out, setting affinity for a task only lasts while that task is active. Stop and start the task and normal "all cores" affinity is restored. Definitely something to watch out for if on Win 8 it's now 'sticky'.
    Jim

Desktop: i7-930, 12gb RAM, 2 x SDD, 3 x Internal HDD, Win7 Pro 64bit
    Cameras: 5D MkIII, 7D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast