Thread: Exporting Video - sort of

Experience
    Beginner
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    LR Version

Exporting Video - sort of

Hello,

I have been using the LR4 trial now for about 20 days and pulled the trigger on a purchase today. It is so much better than PSE9 for managing photos and I love doing crops and other adjustments without creating a second file.

One of the things I do is create a video every year of photos and videos from that year. I create an appropriate tag in PSE9 and then when I am ready, I export pictures and videos with that tag to a folder that I use as a working folder for my DVD. This worked well. But all I really need to do is to use my tag search to then be able to copy these files somewhere else. I don't need the copies to be in the catalog.

However, with LR4, it won't export my video files (.MTS). It gives me an error message saying they were not exported. Is there anyway to use the tag search and then export/copy videos? I used the "find in explorer" command, but this just takes me to the folder which may have 100's of files. Plus a year's videos may total 40 and be spread across 4 folders.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Rich

Lightroom Queen / Owner
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.8.x Mountain Lion
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None
    Hi Rich

If you're on 4.0, I'd suggest skipping to 4.1RC2 at http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom4-1/ - your error message might even disappear!

Other than that, for the video files, try selecting 'original' format, which will create a duplicate of the original file.

But yes, you can do a keyword search. In the keyword list panel, you can click on the arrow at the right hand end of the keyword and it'll open the Metadata Filter bar with that keyword already selected for you.
    Victoria

Lots of questions? Adobe Lightroom 5 - The Missing FAQ Book available now - PDF, ePub, Kindle & Paperback Discount code: LRF2011

Website: Lightroom Queen Blog - Follow me on Twitter as @LightroomQueen - Find me on Facebook

Experience
    Beginner
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    LR Version
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria Bampton View Post
    Hi Rich

If you're on 4.0, I'd suggest skipping to 4.1RC2 at http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom4-1/ - your error message might even disappear!

Other than that, for the video files, try selecting 'original' format, which will create a duplicate of the original file.

But yes, you can do a keyword search. In the keyword list panel, you can click on the arrow at the right hand end of the keyword and it'll open the Metadata Filter bar with that keyword already selected for you.
    Thanks Victoria. Yes, I knew how to do the search, sorry I wasn't clear. Just the export was the issue.

I will try 4.1RC2. Barring that working, where do I select original format? In the dialog box for export? I think that is already checked, but for some reason it can't export the MTS file.

Stay tuned,

Rich

Lightroom Queen / Owner
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.8.x Mountain Lion
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None
    Yep, that would be in the export dialog. If it's not working, a screenshot of the export dialog and of the error message might offer some useful clues.
    Victoria

Lots of questions? Adobe Lightroom 5 - The Missing FAQ Book available now - PDF, ePub, Kindle & Paperback Discount code: LRF2011

Website: Lightroom Queen Blog - Follow me on Twitter as @LightroomQueen - Find me on Facebook

Experience
    Beginner
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    LR Version
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria Bampton View Post
    Yep, that would be in the export dialog. If it's not working, a screenshot of the export dialog and of the error message might offer some useful clues.
    Welllllll, all I can say is duh! There is actually a separate section for video in the export dialog. I didn't have export video turned on. Problem solved! Thanks also for the tip on 4.1RC2

Rich

Lightroom Queen / Owner
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.8.x Mountain Lion
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None
    LOL! We've all been there Rich! Made me smile anyway!
    Victoria