nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw

Lightroom noob from North Virginia

Hello,

Happy to have found this forum. I just purchased Light Room 4 and am eager to get some learnin on how to use it. I have also purchased Martin Evening's book and am wading through it. I have already learned several good tips just surfing the threads on this forum. I especially appreciate the attitudes towards noobs like me. I look forward to surfing and searching for more tidbits here.

I first got interested in serious photography when I purchased my Canon AE-1 back in 1981. I still have that camera and it has never let me down. I have many fond memories of the hours spend in the dark room.

About 5 years ago, I was seduced to the darkside and went digital. I am now shooting a Canon 30D, but never seemed to have the time to get out and shoot.

About a month ago, I learned about my company's photography club which is a fancy way to describing a small number of people who meet during lunch and look at pictures. This was the nudging I needed and I dusted off my camera and started taking pictures. I was shooting JPEG only.

One of the members, who I have designated, with out his knowledge, as my mentor, recommended Light Room. I had expermented with earlier versions of PS Elements but found the learning curve a bit steep. Especially when I did not use the software often.

I got a really good deal on Light Room 4 and the new PS Elements 10. This coincided with my decision to buy a new much more powerful computer (Birthday). More importantly, I have decided not to find time to shoot but to make time to shoot.

My interests are mostly close up/macro photography. With Light Room 4, some of my pictures even come out well. Go figure! One advantage of digital over film is that digital images are practically free so I need to adjust my paradigm to shoot more.

I look forward to being a member of this forum and perhaps sometime in the future actually writing a post or two. For now, I have a lot of threads to sift through.

Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.8.x Mountain Lion
    Memory
    16 GB
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    ATI Radeon HD 5750
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Epson
    Welcome aboard. I also had an AE-1 with only a 200mm lens for a long while and sometimes miss that exposure needle (or was it my FTb ?) :-)
    Ciao from Roma, Italy
    Bob
    -------
    Canon 7D, 5Dmk2 - Canon 17-40L, 50 1.4, 100 macro, 70-200L 2.8 IS

Lightroom Queen / Owner
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None
    Welcome to the forum Ozgood! It's great a hear a little of your background, and I'm sure your newfound enthusiasm will rub off on all of us!
    Victoria

Lots of questions? Adobe Lightroom 5 - The Missing FAQ Book available now - PDF, ePub, Kindle & Paperback Discount code: LRF2011

Website: Lightroom Queen Blog - Follow me on Twitter as @LightroomQueen - Find me on Facebook