LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Offsite Photo Lab

No Thumbnail Image on Exported .jpg files

When generating .jpg files with imbedded printer profiles in the Print Module (Print Job: Print to JPEG file) to send to my off-site lab, there is no thumbnail on the files. If I inspect the files with "get info", it displays the image size "0 x 0 pixels", however the files are full size (12-18 MB) and readable by the lab after I up-load them. On my computer I cannot view them with the standard Preview app and I get a message of possible damaged file or a format that the Preview app doesn't recognize. I was having the same issue with LR 3 for the last couple of months and thought that upgrading to LR 4 might solve the problem. I reinstalled Mac OS 10.7.3 Lion hoping that might also solve the problem. If I create a .jpg file from the export command in the Library Module, everything is OK. It is only with the Print Module.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Is there a setting somewhere that might have accidentally changed. Anyone have any suggested solutions?

Alternately, does anyone know of an app to rebuild the thumbnail from the main .jpg file?

Thanks, Jim

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    More than 8gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    ATI
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    HP
    Welcome to the forums, Jim

I cannot see a problem with embeddid thumbnails out of Print to JPEG on my Win7 system with LR4.0.

Could you upload such a JPEG to somewhere (i.e. www.yousendit.com, dropbox, ...) and post a link to it here? (Please note that your post will go into moderation because of your post count and the containing link, but it will be taken care of).

Beat
    Beat Gossweiler

Canon 1Ds MkII | Canon 5D MkII | CANON EF 24-105mm F/4.0 L IS | CANON EF 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6L IS | CANON EF 100mm F/2.8 Makro
    HP Color Laserjet CP3505X

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    More than 8gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    ATI
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    HP
    I must revise what I just wrote:

Print to JPEG also produces JPEGs without thumbnails for me. I just checked LR2.7 and LR3.6, same result. Looks like this is by design.

Beat
    Beat Gossweiler

Canon 1Ds MkII | Canon 5D MkII | CANON EF 24-105mm F/4.0 L IS | CANON EF 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6L IS | CANON EF 100mm F/2.8 Makro

Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.7.x Lion
    Memory
    16 GB
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Offsite Photo Lab
    Thanks for the welcome.

Hmmm - - - now, I am all the more confused!

I cant think of a reason why Adobe would deactivate the thumbnail function on a jpeg file. It seems to defy logic. What are your thoughts?

Jim.

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    8gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon, Fuji, Olympus, Canon :)
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Offsite Photo Lab
    Jim,
    Welcome!

I don't get them, either. Windows Explorer is able to create thumbnail icons, even without thumbnails being imbedded in the JPEG, which confused me for a while.

I can't think of a good reason for LR to omit them. If I were you, I'd go to the "Official Bug Report" site (see top of this page) and complain.

Hal

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    More than 8gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    ATI
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    HP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal P Anderson View Post
    I can't think of a good reason for LR to omit them. If I were you, I'd go to the "Official Bug Report" site (see top of this page) and complain.
    I guess the reasoning is that JPEG output from Print is supposed to be sent to a printing service, so thumbnails and/or metadata (except the ICC profile) basically would not be needed or helpful. In the meantime, many people use Print to JPEG for a lot more reasons than just to send output to a printing service.

Beat
    Beat Gossweiler