Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.7.x Lion
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon

Editing Capture Date and Time

LR apparently is structured to meet the needs of professional photographers and unfortunately ignores the needs of amateurs who are scanning in old family photos.

When scanning photos sometimes you only know the year, sometimes the month and year, sometimes the day but rarely the time. In LR you have to edit the capture time one image at a time which can be awhile if you have many images to date. If all the images were scanned the same day LR will change them all to the capture date but assign a time based upon when they were scanned. If they were scanned on different days over the span of a days or weeks, many of the images will have different capture dates and only those scanned on the day of the first image will be correct.

I had a solution which suddenly has stopped working and I'd like suggestions as to why.

My solution was to import the images into Elements, and change the date there. Element will allow you to say the day and time are unknown. Then I would remove the images from the LR catalog (do not delete from drive) and import them back again. Voila, problem solved. LR would give all the images the same date and set the unknown time to 12:00:00 AM.

Now this appears to no longer work and I wonder why. When I look at the image in Elements it has the date I entered which may be decades ago. The same image imported to LR has the date the image was scanned. Obviously the date entered into Elements is in the file somewhere, but LR will not show it on the thumbnails. LR now shows the time scanned while it use to show the same time as shown in Elements.

Lightroom Queen / Owner
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None
    I've just started scanning in many thousands of family negatives, so I understand the problem.

I'm not sure why Elements time isn't working for you now - has anything changed on your system? Any updates perhaps?

I may have a quicker solution for you. Have a look at John Beardsworth's CaptureTimeToExif plug-in http://www.photographers-toolbox.com...uretimetoexif/
    Victoria

Lots of questions? Adobe Lightroom 5 - The Missing FAQ Book available now - PDF, ePub, Kindle & Paperback Discount code: LRF2011

Website: Lightroom Queen Blog - Follow me on Twitter as @LightroomQueen - Find me on Facebook

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    16 GB
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon D700, Sony Nex 5N, iPhone, Olympus compact
    File Format
    Raw+Jpeg
    Printer
    Offsite Photo Lab
    We had a similar discussion a while back. What many of us seems to do with unknown times/dates is to assign them to the "first":

- unknown month/date/time will be filed as january 1st 00:00:00
    - unknown date/time will be filed as correct month 1st 00:00:00
    - unknown time will be filed as correct month and day 00:00:00

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.7.x Lion
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    Quote Originally Posted by erro View Post
    We had a similar discussion a while back. What many of us seems to do with unknown times/dates is to assign them to the "first":

- unknown month/date/time will be filed as january 1st 00:00:00
    - unknown date/time will be filed as correct month 1st 00:00:00
    - unknown time will be filed as correct month and day 00:00:00

This is what I do, but while Elements lets you do this to a batch of images, LR requires you to do it one image at a time. Very time consuming.
    Doug State College, PA

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    16 GB
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    File Format
    Raw+Jpeg
    Printer
    Offsite Photo Lab
    Quote Originally Posted by scorecards View Post
    This is what I do, but while Elements lets you do this to a batch of images, LR requires you to do it one image at a time. Very time consuming.
    That doesn't sound right. You should be able to select multiple photos and adjust their time. I don't have LR where I am right now though. But I know for sure that I often adjust the time for multiple photos, though I adjust for a wrongly set clock so that all photos get their time adjusted by the same amount + or -. But surely there must be a way of setting one specific time for multiple photos?

Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    12gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    ATI
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    HP
    Yes there is Robert.....but it's probably the usual issue, to apply to multiple images at once they have to be mutli-selected in the Grid, i.e. if Loupe is active and you multi-select in the filmstrip, only the single image in the Loupe gets changed. Select them all in the Grid and no problem.....
    Jim

Desktop: i7-930, 12gb RAM, 2 x SDD, 3 x Internal HDD, Win7 Pro 64bit
    Cameras: 5D MkIII, 7D

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.7.x Lion
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    Quote Originally Posted by TNG View Post
    Yes there is Robert.....but it's probably the usual issue, to apply to multiple images at once they have to be mutli-selected in the Grid, i.e. if Loupe is active and you multi-select in the filmstrip, only the single image in the Loupe gets changed. Select them all in the Grid and no problem.....
    They all get changed, but not to the same time. The time is set relative to the time of the first image. This is similar to the time zone adjustment.
    Doug State College, PA

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.7.x Lion
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    Still no one has responded to the main problem as to why the date/ time in LR is not the one displayed in Elements. Before last week they were the same. Something got changed in one of these programs and I'd like to know what.
    Doug State College, PA

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    8gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    ASUS EAH 5450
    LR Version
    Camera
    Panasonic
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Canon
    Just tried it, no problems:

Edit time in PSE9 (version: fixed date, unknown time)
    Read metadate from file in LR4 (not delete + import)
    New date (without time) in LR

Greetings from Vienna
    Franz

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    16 GB
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    File Format
    Raw+Jpeg
    Printer
    Offsite Photo Lab
    They all get changed, but not to the same time. The time is set relative to the time of the first image. This is similar to the time zone adjustment.
    You are indeed right. I just tried it myself, and there seems to be no way to set multiple photos to the same time. Strange.

Lightroom Queen / Owner
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None
    Still no one has responded to the main problem as to why the date/ time in LR is not the one displayed in Elements. Before last week they were the same. Something got changed in one of these programs and I'd like to know what.
    So what's changed on your system in the last week? Have you run any updates?
    Victoria

Lots of questions? Adobe Lightroom 5 - The Missing FAQ Book available now - PDF, ePub, Kindle & Paperback Discount code: LRF2011

Website: Lightroom Queen Blog - Follow me on Twitter as @LightroomQueen - Find me on Facebook

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.7.x Lion
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria Bampton View Post
    So what's changed on your system in the last week? Have you run any updates?
    The funny thing is that the change happened while I was working in LR and elements. One group of pictures worked (dates in both aps the same) and then the next group did not (different dates between aps..
    Doug State College, PA

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.7.x Lion
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    I made the suggestion to LR to change this more than a year ago. They apparently don't think those of us scanning images are worth much effort.
    Doug State College, PA

Lightroom Queen / Owner
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None
    They have a HUGE number of feature requests, and everyone sees their own as most important (quite understandably!). LR's primarily targeted at managing digital photographs, and the majority of its userbase aren't scanning, so I'm sure they take that into account when weighing up requests. There's just a limited number of hours in the day. I hope they'll get to it one day. In the meantime, why not try that plug-in I linked to above. That's what I'll be using.

As far as figuring out what happened to Elements, comparing the metadata from a batch that worked and a batch that didn't might offer some clues.
    Victoria

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.7.x Lion
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria Bampton View Post
    They have a HUGE number of feature requests, and everyone sees their own as most important (quite understandably!). LR's primarily targeted at managing digital photographs, and the majority of its userbase aren't scanning, so I'm sure they take that into account when weighing up requests. There's just a limited number of hours in the day. I hope they'll get to it one day. In the meantime, why not try that plug-in I linked to above. That's what I'll be using.

As far as figuring out what happened to Elements, comparing the metadata from a batch that worked and a batch that didn't might offer some clues.
    I have installed the plug in and it does work as you said. Thank you.
    Doug State College, PA