Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trouble copying photos and LR files over to new laptop?

Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    12gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    ATI
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    HP
    When you clicked on, say, 2011 Apr 04, did you point Lightroom at the 2011 folder, or did you point it to the 2100 Apr 04 sub-folder inside 2011?
    Jim

Desktop: i7-930, 12gb RAM, 2 x SDD, 3 x Internal HDD, Win7 Pro 64bit
    Cameras: 5D MkIII, 7D

Experience
    Beginner
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Epson
    The 2011 folder not the exact sub-folder inside, my bad!

Experience
    Beginner
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Epson
    Okay by doing that on the next folder to find it solved both of my problems at one time. Now can I reverse what I did with the first 12 or so files that I lumped together?

Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    12gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    ATI
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    HP
    Not easily, but not impossible either. Suggest you carry on with sorting out the rest, then give me a screenshot of the folders panel again (with the 2011 folder expanded). Before taking the screenshot, click on Library in the menu bar and ensure that "Show Photos in Subfolders" is unchecked.
    Jim

Experience
    Beginner
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Epson
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	5 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	2256

Got that all done, here is the screen shot requested I think?

Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    12gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    ATI
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    HP
    OK, if you click on the 2011 folder in the Folders Panel, and make sure you're in grid view, you should find that all the 564 thumbnails in the grid will have the '?' mark to indicate that Lightroom thinks they are missing (because it doesn't know they are actually in sub-folders within the 2011 folder). If you make sure that the sort order is Capture Date, the first picture in the grid should be from Feb 26.

Assuming it is (get back to me if it isn't), click on the '?' mark on the thumbnail of that first image and you'll get a screen like this:

Name:	Capture1.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	2257

Obviously the file name will be different. Click on Locate and a file browser window like this will appear:

Name:	Capture2.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	2258

Note the bottom box, "Find nearby Missing Photos", make sure it is checked. Then browse to the 2011 Feb 26 sub-folder under the 2011 folder, open it to list the contents, and you should see the correct file name listed. If you do, click it to highlight it, then click on the select button. That should relink that file to the correct sub-folder, and if you are lucky it will also relink the other 80 pictures in that sub-folder.

If that all works as hoped for, you'll need to repeat for the other 8 sub-folders.

If any of that is unclear, get back to me.....don't press on if you are uncertain.
    Jim

Experience
    Beginner
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Epson

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	4 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	2260,
    Okay so I followed your above procedure, and it retrieved almost everything except for two items. The first being the now 39 images contained in the Mike Hannam Photography file there at the top. Those images were 41, they belong in the first file which is 2012 Apr 23 Zac... I moved the first two of the 41 over but when I do the find file procedure and open the appropriate file to link to the image files have no corresponding numbers to match up the files with. All of the images are untitled, untitled 2 and so on down the line. Since I cannot see the images so there is no way I can match the numbered file to the proper untitled file? The other small problem is the 2012 Apr 28 file, 111 images, my last import. I see the 111 under the latest import window at the top of the screen. Same problem linking them to the proper files also as the images that I want to link the files to have also lost their file numbers, just like the other ones have.

Now since I have almost everything resolved here on my laptop using the portable hd, I have to go and synch these image and lrcat files over to the external hd on my desktop pc. Hope I get that resolved without any issues.

Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    12gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    ATI
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    HP
    Because the 2012 Apr 28 sub-folder is still 'missing', if you can find it on the portable HD you can try relinking the actual sub-folder rather than trying to relink individual images....
    Jim

Experience
    Beginner
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Epson
    Okay so I found and corrected the issue of 2012 Apr 28. The only thing left to move over is the 39 image files under the Mike Hannam Photography heading into the 2012 Apr 23 Zac... file where they belong. I can't seem to get this done because of the missing file numbers on the correct image files needed to be linked to. Since I have no thumbnails to view I cannot link the the proper two files together. Any ideas?

Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    12gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    ATI
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    HP
    Not sure I'm really understanding the issue with the last 39 images, can you try to clarify? All the 39 files have a file-name, right? Unless you have renamed the files outside Lightroom, you should be able to point Lightroom at the corresponding file in the Apr 13 sub-folder. As I said, I'm not understanding, so maybe a couple of screenshots might help....the list of the files as seen in Windows Explorer and a shot of the Grid with all the missing files showing (make sure in the View Options you have the filename as an option).
    Jim

Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    8gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    Integrated video
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Canon
    This question is for my own information, and not a suggestion. But why wouldn't it be possible to put the catalog, the previews, and the entire folder structure for the images into a single folder on the new laptop (like you do when you want to make a portable catalog to move to an external hard drive) and then simply open that catalog on the new computer. Wouldn't that work? Really, I don't know.

Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    12gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    ATI
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    HP
    Yes Jim, that would have worked, and in fact that's what was done.....but unfortunately some folders got moved around AFTER the export as catalog to the new drive, but outside Lightroom. Hence why some folders went 'missing'.
    Jim

Experience
    Beginner
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Epson
    Everything resolved here 100% I am a happy camper! Thank you Jim for your expertise, patience and time in helping me resolve my problems here. It has been a great learning experience, sorry it had to be at your expense, once again thanks ever so much. This forum certainly has a new member and fan here.

One last question as I proceed here. I am now moving all of my 2010 files up into a newly created 2010 folder. Can I only move one up at a time or can I move a number of highlighted files up into the new folder at one time?

Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    12gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    ATI
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    HP
    I hope you're doing that move within Lightroom!! Seriously, if you need to reorganise your folder structure, make sure you do it within Lightroom....you've just discovered what happens if you do it outside Lightroom. BTW, a lot of folks here would advise you not to spend too much time changing the folder structure.....folders are an inefficient means of 'organising', Lightroom offers much more powerful methods, so you might be more productive in the long term in leaving the folder structure as is and concentrating on setting up keywords, collections, etc. Just a thought....

By 'files' do you mean folders or individual image files? In LR3 you can only move one folder at a time (that changes in LR4), but if you are just moving individual files you can select multiple files at once and move them in one "drag and drop" operation. Note that when doing that you have to drag from the centre of an image, it won't work if you try to drag from the grey frame (possibly the most frequent 'gotcha' that we come across ).
    Jim

Experience
    Beginner
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Epson
    I mean a folder at a time into a new 2010 folder, not single image files. Yes I am doing this on LR and it is working out just fine by moving one folder at a time. All of my images are pretty heavily keyworded already , just tidying up the way the list looks when lightroom is open. Thanks again.

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon D800
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Canon
    Quote Originally Posted by digital mikeon View Post
    I mean a folder at a time into a new 2010 folder, not single image files. Yes I am doing this on LR and it is working out just fine by moving one folder at a time. All of my images are pretty heavily keyworded already , just tidying up the way the list looks when lightroom is open. Thanks again.
    While you can only move one folder at a time (per thread) in LR3, you can initiate many threads simultaneously (or nearly so). LR is multi threaded and can do more things at a time than you can. When I was in LR3, routinely I would move older folders from my local drive to my EHD. I would drag one folder at a time to the new location, As soon as I dropped a folder on the new location, I would repeat with the next folder before the first instance had a chance to complete I could stack up about 6-8 tasks on the top pane all executing at once.

Lightroom Queen / Owner
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None
    Three cheers for Jim! And welcome to the forum Mike!
    Victoria

Lots of questions? Adobe Lightroom 5 - The Missing FAQ Book available now - PDF, ePub, Kindle & Paperback Discount code: LRF2011

Website: Lightroom Queen Blog - Follow me on Twitter as @LightroomQueen - Find me on Facebook

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12