Thread: Collections and External Backup

Experience
    Beginner
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.7.x Lion
    LR Version

Collections and External Backup

Hi, I have searched for an answer on this but I have had little success, maybe its my choice of search terms. Sorry.

My problem: I use Carbon Cloner to back up all my images onto my NAS and have this available to lightroom 4 under the FOLDERS. My problem is when I make smart collections based on "creation date" and "star" rating this doubles up the images in the smart collection, because they are duplicates, after all thats what the back up is for

I have hunted through the rules under smart collections to try and narrow it down to using only my "Macintosh HD" which is my Computer HD and not NAS, sadly I cant find anything.

The reason I dont just disconnect the NAS from the catalogue is because I also have archived folders in their and would still like to access them this way.

So. the question please is how can I stop smart collections looking at my NAS with rules?

kind regards

Sam

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    More than 8gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    ATI
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    HP
    Welcome to the forums, Sam

My first question would be:
    Why do you have your backed up folders in your catalog? Did you import them? Usually, one does not include the backups of the originals in the catalog.

To try to answer your question:
    Have you tried entering "Folder starts with Macintosh HD" in your smart collection(s) like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture_0001_20120506_153711.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	2234

Beat
    Beat Gossweiler

Canon 1Ds MkII | Canon 5D MkII | CANON EF 24-105mm F/4.0 L IS | CANON EF 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6L IS | CANON EF 100mm F/2.8 Makro
    HP Color Laserjet CP3505X

Experience
    Beginner
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.7.x Lion
    LR Version
    Hi and thanks for the reply.

All my imports start as RAW into the catalogue. Things like Model shoots (practise) and family stuff I convert to HQ.jpg when edited etc. I keep my Wedding CR2 files for 12 months (just in case) then convert to .jpg

I understand why you ask but to keep space down on my computer HD I only keep current photos there, then as said, archive to the NAS.

I have tried the rule as suggested, I thought that would do it, sadly for some reason it doesn't? I dont really understand why it doesn't as that would be perfect?

thanks for trying

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    More than 8gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    ATI
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    HP
    Can you please post a screen shot of your smart collection?

Beat
    Beat Gossweiler

Canon 1Ds MkII | Canon 5D MkII | CANON EF 24-105mm F/4.0 L IS | CANON EF 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6L IS | CANON EF 100mm F/2.8 Makro
    HP Color Laserjet CP3505X

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon D800
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Lexmark
    There are two things that are important to have a backup duplicate copy. One is the LR catalog. The other are your master originals. There is no need to keep backup copies of your master originals in the LR. Catalog. You have limited storage on your primary drive. You can move older master originals off of the primary drive AND still keep them in the catalog for easy access in LR.

i have an auxiliary drive in addition to my primary drive. After I have completed processing the RAW image I move them to the auxiliary drive using LR to make the move. My backup (TimeMachine) backs up both the primary drive and the auxiliary drive so that I always have a backup copy of ALL my master images and my master catalog. I think you need a backup file management solution similar to this and if you do implement it, you will not have Smart Collection problems like this.

Experience
    Beginner
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.7.x Lion
    LR Version
    Hi Gents, thanks for the replies and sorry for the delay. Work gets in the way sometimes :-)

In the end I just didnt bother having a link to my NAS.. I will just hook up to it as required as the "Macintosh HD" folder filter doesnt seem to work.

thanks again :-)