I am new to LR and new to this forum (and really impressed I must say). So if this question is inappropriate in this thread my apologies. After having read some of the entries in the forum I think my question is likely relevant to others.
So my issue:
I have imported into LR all of my folders with pictures. The folder structure was a work in progress and shows remnants of a number of different strategies to achieve different things - well more than just remnants. I should have cleaned things up before importing - noting that any cleanup would be imperfect and then I would still have the same problem. So I have duplicated photos (mainly intentional), photos in folders that I should have moved to other folders etc. So I think the general question is to what extent can I do this cleanup or file management work from LR.
My problem with duplicated photos is resolved - I wanted LR to show them in the folders they were in, and not ignore them - it was just a matter of ticking the right box at import time.
However while I can see LR lets me do some file management - eg delete photos from a folder, create new folders; I can't see how to do other things. An example: from grid view I would like to select photos and then move them to another folder - I tried dropping and dragging without luck.
Is there an article or link that covers Folder and File Management from LR comprehensively?
My list of things would be (some of which LR does - the other I'm not sure about)
- Creating folders
- Moving folders with associated nesting
- Deleting folders with contents
- Here's a good one - Deleting folders but leaving contents to aggregate into the parent folder (great for those who have Year / Month /Day folders and want to convert to Year / Month - they would just select all the children folders in a month, ie the day folders and delete them, leaving all of the photos sitting underneath the month folder.)
- Copy selected photos to another folder
- Move selected photos to another folder
- Delete selected photos (LR does this in an interesting way ie non intuitive way with Raw+JPeg - I imported without ticking the JPEG as separate files option in Edit>Preferences, and my understanding is that LR only imports the RAW file and unless I do a specific import I can't access the JPEG - however when I delete from LR it deletes both)