Thread: LR4 Map Module - Questions

LR4 Map Module - Questions

Three questions about the Map module. When I added geocode information to some images the first time, I wasn't presented with the warning dialogue to enable reverse lookup. Since it was turned on already, how can it be turned off? I can't seem to find a way to do that.

How does one 'commit' the reverse lookup information into the file? My understanding is that the grey, italic text means the information is 'uncommitted'.

Lastly, what is the default time/distance offset for tagging images? I've used GPicSync in the past and in that program I set a time offset of, say, 20 seconds. If the program finds a log point in the track that is within 20 seconds of the time stamp in the image file, it embeds the geodata. If it finds more than one within that timeframe, it embeds the information with the least time variance. If the time difference between a log point and the image time stamp is more than 20 seconds, geodata is not encoded into the image file.

Thanks.

Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    12gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    ATI
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    HP
    Hi, welcome to the forum.

1. You can turn off Reverse Geocoding on the Metadata tab of your Catalog Settings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capturez.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	2209

2. To 'commit' suggested location data, click the specific metadata label and you can select from the list of recent entries that will appear. Works like Title, Caption, etc. Of course if you don't like the suggestions, you can always type your own.

3. Don't know, but I know a man who will. I'm sure he'll drop by with the details.
    Jim

Desktop: i7-930, 12gb RAM, 2 x SDD, 3 x Internal HDD, Win7 Pro 64bit
    Cameras: 5D MkIII, 7D

Thanks for the quick reply.

Catalog Settings! About the only place I didn't look.

Ah, OK. So do it in one then sync to the rest. That makes sense.

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    8gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    Radeon HD 6870
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Canon
    I'm still a bit confused about the meaning of "uncommitted" location data. I just geo-tagged about 4,500 photos from a recent trip to the Amazon (my Qstarz GPS logger worked great!). Lr did the reverse lookup, and filled in the City (where possible), State/Province, Country, and ISO Country Code. In the metadata panel, that data currently shows up in a gray italic font.

Do I need to do something explicit to commit that information? I find that if I enter a sublocation (let's say the name of the river), the rest of the location data disappears. If I need to do something to commit the location data, is there a way to do it for all 4,500 photos?

Can someone help clear this up for me?
    Mark

TNG's answer explains it perfectly. Click on the field title (not in the actual field) and select the appropriate entry for the field. For example, click on 'Sublocation' and a popout menu of items that could go in that field will appear. Choose the one you want then do the same for the other fields. If the information is the same for multiple images, highlight all that the information applies to - or click the callout box on the map to select all at that location - then click Sync Metadata in the lower right. Choose the fields you want to sync from the dialogue box that pops up then sync the information to all the selected images.

I'd still like to know what the time offset is for syncing the data from the track file to the images.

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    8gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    Radeon HD 6870
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Canon
    Thanks. This worked for me; however, I find the approach extremely cumbersome when you have a wide range of location metadata spread across several thousand photos. It would be much simpler I could just select all 4,500 photos, then be able to click something that said to commit the uncommitted location metadata.

As for the time offset, in my case, I ended up using an offset of -1 hour. I'm assuming that's because the time on my desktop computer (U.S. EDT) is one hour ahead of what was Peru local time.
    Mark

Agreed, it definitely is cumbersome.

It's not the time zone offset I'm looking at. What I'm wondering is the difference between the timestamp of a log point in the track file and the timestamp in the metadata of an image. For example, if there's a difference of 5 seconds, that will get tagged but if there's a difference of 20 seconds, that image won't get tagged. I'm wondering what that difference is. That is, how far off can the time between the image and the closest track point be before the image won't be tagged.