Thread: Lightroom not responding

Main OS
    Mac 10.6.x
    LR Version

Lightroom not responding

I am having difficulty with Lightroom.It does not repsond when I load many times and especially when I want to inport. I am running 3.6 on a Mac PRo. Any suggestions? I was planning to take a lightroom course starting sunday and this will make it impossible. It will occasionally load when I shut the computer down and load it first.

Lightroom Queen / Owner
    Experience
    Power User
    Main OS
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Other OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    LR Version
    CC
    Camera
    Olympus
    File Format
    Raw
    Hi kcgrace, welcome to the forum!

There are some initial things you can try for troubleshooting:

1. Make sure you have backups!

2. Restart Lightroom

3. Restart the Computer

4. Delete the Preferences file. Instructions here: http://www.lightroomforums.net/showt...eferences-file

5. Optimize the Catalog Edit menu > Catalog Settings > Relaunch & Optimize and wait for it to tell you it's completed.

6. Create a new catalog to rule out catalog corruption. (Restart Lightroom holding down Ctrl (Windows) or Opt (Mac) and select Create New Catalog.)

7. Import some images into that new catalog to check everything's working as expected.
    Victoria

Lots of questions? Adobe Lightroom CC/6 - The Missing FAQ Book available now - PDF, ePub, Kindle & Paperback Discount code: LRF2015

Website: Lightroom Queen Blog - Follow me on Twitter as @LightroomQueen - Find me on Facebook

Experience
    Advanced
    Main OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    LR Version
    CC
    Hi, i am new to this forum. Not sure if i should reply to this or start a new thread.

I have an i5 processor with 8gb memory, running only Lightroom.

2 weeks back i started using CC, with face recognition. It started out fine. After a day Lightroom became very slow. Strange thing: the more edits a file had, the slower the file. I never noticed anything like that with previous Lightroom versions. Lightroom hangs for at least 30 seconds per action on a file with relatively many alterations. But it also has a lag on any action on any file or lightroom setting.

I tried a lot of things, nothing helped.

1 I tried all the above

2 I deleted all the faces

3 I completely reinstalled lightroom

4 I moved my private photos to another catalog (total was 1.8TB, now i have a .6 and 1.2TB catalog)

I also noticed that it is impossibly to go back to a previous lightroom version, because the catalog can not be changed back!

Can anyone help me, because i am at the point of reinstalling windows, with the chance that that does ont work eather (because it worked before Lightroom cc and reinstalling and deleting all the faces and stopping all the background activitities does not help a tiny bit).

Experience
    Advanced
    Main OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    LR Version
    CC
    Strange thing i have to add:

I installed Lightroom 6 (instead of cc) and the catalog works, but its exactly as slow and not responding.

Experience
    Advanced
    Main OS
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    LR Version

Sor of the same problem

CI'm having the same problem. Light room 6 is very slow compared to 5. Thes library's have been transfers to many new computer including widows. I tried getting mac keeper, and that didn't change anything. I travel the world where there is no tech for anyone. To have these problems where no one can help you is not only dicourging but can end your reputatinm really fast. I like my job over not and your bosses are not going to accept computer problems as an excuse.

Experience
    Advanced
    Main OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    LR Version
    CC
    Im sorry to hear your troubles. I am in a country with lots of tech people, but all their tips do not solve this problem. I tried all tips that i could find on this on internet. I happily would go back to Lightroom 5.7, but my catalog will not work in a downgrade.
    I just installed a 6.0.1 trial and a CC trial on another completely new computer, and that showed the same problems! Maybe my CC! catalog is corrupt. And i have no idea what to do about it. Building a new catalog would be costing me VERY much, and i only have a backup of the 5.7 catalog, but i made lots of changes in the 2 weeks of CC use.
    1 There has to be a way to find what is causing the constant delays, i have no idea what Lightroom is doing when it is unresponsive. All my other software is running perfectly.
    2 There has to be a way to use my catalog in another version, right? Or to change the catalog back to another version.

Thanks for anyone that can help.