LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None

Can't recover PS edits from LR4

OK, so I do an "edit in" CS5 and do some serious healing and cloning, convert to smart filters and then apply a couple of Nik filters. I save and quit and the edited tif file appears in LR4. Fine. I then want to do some more editing, so I select "edit in" CS5 and regardless of the option I select ("Edit a copy with with Lightroom adjustments", "Edit a copy", or "Edit Original"), I see a background layer only and none of the smart filter layers I used to get?

Is this a bug, or did they change something that I'm not seeing?

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    7 64-bit
    Memory
    12GB
    CPU Cores
    More than 8
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Canon
    If you change your Edit In parameters to use a PSD instead of a Tiff,(Preferences>External Editors) does it work?
    ~Rikk Flohr

LR Keyword Lists
    here, Imaging Blog here & Holy Crop! here
    Desktop: Win 7 64Bit, 12-Core, 12 GB, 9.5 TB of HD Laptop: MacBook Pro Retina 15", 10.8.4, 2.6 Quad Duo, 16 GB, PS CC

Primary OS
    10.6.x
    Memory
    4gb - 8gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None
    In LR3 either would work, but it was widely recommended to use tiff files instead of psd, but I don't recall why (even Adobe techs said so, but I can't recall where).

Note when I open it directly in CS5, it opens fine.

More experimenting, but it appears that the edited file is opened from within LR4 but flattened.

Primary OS
    10.6.x
    Memory
    4gb - 8gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None
    Noticed something else that's odd. I edited a version and saved it, then made a virtual copy and ran a Nik B&W filter on the virtual copy. Both the original and the virtual are now B&W.

This is truly weird.

Lightroom Queen / Owner
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.8.x Mountain Lion
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None
    That sounds right Roscoe, because the Nik B&W filter will have changed the original data to B&W - so the virtual copy will also be looking at that B&W data.
    Victoria

Lots of questions? Adobe Lightroom 5 - The Missing FAQ Book available now - PDF, ePub, Kindle & Paperback Discount code: LRF2011

Website: Lightroom Queen Blog - Follow me on Twitter as @LightroomQueen - Find me on Facebook

Primary OS
    10.6.x
    Memory
    4gb - 8gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None
    I don't understand...I edited the virtual copy from a LR plugin...why would that change the original? Isn't that the point of virtual copies...multiple different edits of the same source image?

Lightroom Queen / Owner
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.8.x Mountain Lion
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None
    Take me through your exact steps? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're doing. Remember that virtual copies are only virtual while they're in LR - once you got out to a third-party editor, you're affecting files on disc.
    Victoria

Lots of questions? Adobe Lightroom 5 - The Missing FAQ Book available now - PDF, ePub, Kindle & Paperback Discount code: LRF2011

Website: Lightroom Queen Blog - Follow me on Twitter as @LightroomQueen - Find me on Facebook

Primary OS
    10.6.x
    Memory
    4gb - 8gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None
    Develop in LR4 until happy. "Edit in CS5" to do some object removal. Then Smart filter with a couple of Nik PS plugins (Sharpener and Silver Effects Pro). This generates something akin to layers. Save. Now I have an original and an edited tiff. Open tiff in CS5 directly and I get the smart filter layers back. Quit without saving. However, if I "Edit in CS5" | "edit original" I get the previously edited file BUT it shows as a single flattened Background layer.

So, figuring something was goofy with the "Edit in ..." option I try something else. I reedit the file in PS to reproduce what I had before (because the previous edit was dorked) without the smart filters, figuring I'll use the Nik LR plugins instead (With LR3 I tried to use the PS versions because I could always go back and tweak them later [until now] whereas the LR plugins bake the effects in). But so I don't trash the original tiff again, I create a virtual copy if the tiff and then run the Nik SEP filter on that one. When I'm done, both the tiff and the virtual copy are now B&W.

Shouldn't the virtual copy be the only one affected by the LR plugin (i.e. not the original tiff)?

Lightroom Queen / Owner
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.8.x Mountain Lion
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None
    Ah, ok. No, everything sounds quite normal.

When you open the TIFF in CS5 directly, it opens the original file. If you Edit in Photoshop (with Lr settings) it has to flatten the file as it doesn't understand layers.

When you create a virtual copy, it's virtual - it looks like a separate file in LR and it can have separate settings in LR, but if you open the original TIFF into another program, you're looking at the original file that applies to both master and VC.
    Victoria

Primary OS
    10.6.x
    Memory
    4gb - 8gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None
    First, I'm selecting "edit original" after I created the layers so LR should stay out of the way. At least LR3 did.

Second, once I create the virtual copy from the CS5-created tiff I'm no longer editing the original...I'm editing the VC in a LR Nik plugin (Silver Effects Pro). After I save and exit the plugin only the VC should change to B&W...but the untouched tiff is also converted to B&W. That can't be proper behavior...

edit: So I played with this some more. Seems my options when editing a virtual copy in a plugin are the same as any non-raw file: "Edit a copy with lightroom adjustments", "Edit a copy", or "Edit original". Seems the first two always creates a hard disk copy (not a VC) and the third does what you said...edits the VC but also the underlying "real" file.

So, I've learned two things. Virtual copies appear to be a waste of time if you're going to use a plug-in because they need a hardcopy to work on, and two, using the "edit original" option on a layered tiff file is broken.
    Last edited by Roscoe17; 30 Apr 2012 at 1:23 am.

Lightroom Queen / Owner
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.8.x Mountain Lion
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None
    Yes, your 2nd and 3rd paragraph sound quite right Roscoe. Sorry it's not what you wanted to hear!
    Victoria

Primary OS
    10.6.x
    Memory
    4gb - 8gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None
    Can anyone confirm my last point? That "edit in Photodshop" then choosing "edit original" does not edit the original but instead flattens it instead? Or is it just me?

Lightroom Queen / Owner
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.8.x Mountain Lion
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None
    Edit Original in Photoshop should open the original complete WITH its layers (because it just passes the original file path to PS to open). Edit Original to another plug-in would likely result in a flattened file.
    Victoria

Primary OS
    10.6.x
    Memory
    4gb - 8gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None
    That's my point. "Edit in Photoshop | edit original" is NOT sending the original but is in fact flattening it. Well, it is for me.

Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    8gb
    CPU Cores
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Epson
    Working ok here with PSCS6 so tell us which version of PSCS5 do you have? Is it the latest?? Do you have the latest ACR6.7 plug in for CS5? I'm just looking for oddities her.
    Geoff Walker,
    New Zealand.

Lightroom Queen / Owner
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.8.x Mountain Lion
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None
    I've just tried it here with CS6 and also with CS5/6.7 and it's ok here too. If you right-click > Show in Finder and then open directly into PS, can you confirmed it's a layered file?
    Victoria

Primary OS
    10.6.x
    Memory
    4gb - 8gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None
    Oddly enough it worked properly today. No clue why. Will have to see if/when it happens again.

Thanks