LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Epson

Blurb

How do I convert adobeRGB colors for a blurb book in Lightroom 4?? How do I use blurb ICC

Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    8gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    Nvidia 8800GT in SLI
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Canon
    Lightroom only supports RGB profiles. Blurb.icc is a CMYK profile and not recognized by Lightroom. I use Blurb.icc profile for my LR photos by exporting those photos out of LR as PSD files with sRGB. Then I use Convert Profile in Photoshop to change them to blurb.icc. I use the Actions and Automate/Batch function in PS to do many psd files at one time.

If you stay in LR there is no way to use the blurb.icc profile. However, I think that blurb recognizes sRGB as well so you could use that route.

John

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.6.x Snow Leopard
    Memory
    4gb
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Epson
    Thanks. I thought that was the issue. Thanks for work around

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    LR Version
    First post here!! I used the Blurb BookMart plugin a couple of days ago. Havn't seen the results yet, but I started thinking about colour management, and ordered an IPS monitor on Sunday. Once that's calibrated, if I export to BookSmart, then would that use the Blurb.icc automatically??

Colour is very complicated!

Lightroom Guru
    Primary OS
    7 64-bit
    Memory
    12gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    ATI
    LR Version
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Epson
    I don't think the icc profile is used in BookSmart. Just Photoshop or InDesign. I'd also add that there is a single profile for all the papers, which seems a bit surprising.
    John Beardsworth - Photographing, Writing, Advising, Coding
    Recent books: Digital Photo Workflow (+eBook), Advanced Digital B&W
    Plug-ins: Search Replace, OpenDirectly, Syncomatic, List View More
    Web: Photography - Lightroom Solutions

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    LR Version
    It seems a bit odd to design a nice plug in that lets you shift photos over to BookSmart, and then not let it use the proper colour profile. Like I said...this is a bit complex.

Lightroom Guru
    Primary OS
    7 64-bit
    Memory
    12gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    ATI
    LR Version
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Epson
    Well, I just don't know if BookSmart can use icc profiles (it's not on this computer), but I think it was designed for people who don't get colour management and were satisfied with its template-based design. Photoshop and particularly InDesign are the higher end solutions.

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    LR Version
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbeardy View Post
    Well, I just don't know if BookSmart can use icc profiles (it's not on this computer), but I think it was designed for people who don't get colour management and were satisfied with its template-based design. Photoshop and particularly InDesign are the higher end solutions.

Booksmart is the up market plug in that lets you do just about anything. The plug in lets you select a collection of photos and transfer them to the Booksmart application on your computer. You then set up the book layout in BookSmart and, once you're finished, up load the final version for printing. Links with Lightroom are maintained so if you aren't happy with any of the photos you can make changes to that photo in lightroom and re-export that version. It then slots into its place in the book.

Works quite well, although I havn't seen the print out yet.

I'm really just discovering colour managment - interesting. Once I get my new monitor set up / calibrated I'll worry about the nest stage!

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    LR Version
    BookSmart is Blurb's high end package - you can do just about anything. My new monitor will arrive Thursday, once that's calibrated I'l start thinking about printer profiles! I'm pretty sure it can use them. Booksmart is good - looks better than the book interface on LR4 which is entirely template driven.

Once your book is set up you can make changes to images in LR and update the book by re exporting image.

Lightroom Guru
    Primary OS
    7 64-bit
    Memory
    12gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    ATI
    LR Version
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Epson
    And what is Booksmart if it's not template driven? More and perhaps better-organized templates - maybe. But yes, if you want to use it the best way is via the BookSmart publish plugin.

AFAICS BookSmart doesn't incorporate their CMYK ICC profile and seems to be sRGB, and Blurb seem to recommend that softproofing should be done in another app before loading files into BookSmart. So the higher end solution for those who want to softproof Blurb books is the PDF to Book workflow via Photoshop or InDesign.

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    LR Version
    It is template driven, but you can define any template you like and save it, so you're not stuck to using preset templates.

If you crop photos to non standard sizes - which I do all the time - and want to arrange every page with a unique layout based on what's in each photo, and what size every photo is, then this is very hard to do with the more basic plug in that you can get from blurb (I can't remember what it's called, I had a look at it as well).

Every page in my book is a different layout and every single photo in the book is a different size, was quite easy in Booksmart.

I've done this for ages printing from home - I used to make JPG files and then lay them out on A4 pages in a drawing package (I use coreldraw) and then print every page out on my inkjet on pretty cheap photo paper. I'd then put these into A4 display books - been doing this for years now, and have dozens of albums done like that.

This is my first attempt to use blurb to produce a more "high end" version of the same idea as a present for my parents - seemed to work very well, although I've yet to see the results. Made a version for iPad which my sister says looks good (I don't have an iPad so don't know!)

This was with no real colour management and an uncalibrated monitor.

I thought LR4 did softproofing (I have 3.6), and was thinking you could export the photos to booksmart and set up the book in the same way, but then check the appearance of each photo in LR4 using the icc profile. Any edits would then be applied to the photos in the book and it could then be printed.

Never even thought about colour profiles until about two weeks ago - a lot to learn!

Lightroom Guru
    Primary OS
    7 64-bit
    Memory
    12gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    ATI
    LR Version
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Epson
    Lightroom is an Rgb workflow, and its softproofing is for printing to desktop printers. Blurb's printers are CMYK however, and consequently so too is their profile, making it no use in Lightroom.

Lightroom Guru
    Primary OS
    7 64-bit
    Memory
    12gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    ATI
    LR Version
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Epson
    By the way, you can softproof to sRGB in Lightroom, which should be reasonably close to the book.

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    LR Version
    [QUOTE=johnbeardy;108063]By the way, you can softproof to sRGB in Lightroom, which should be reasonably close to the book.[/QUOTE

This is complicated.....calibrated monitor first step I think. Worry about calibrating print outputs later!

Experience
    Beginner
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Sony
    File Format
    Raw
    I'm planning to order a Blurb book in the next week or so. I'll be curious to see how it turns out. I'm just going to soft-proof in Lightroom with sRGB, rather than using Photoshop with Blurb's CMYK icc profile. Could someone here explain why the "Simulate Paper & Ink" option isn't available for sRGB soft proofs? I'm guessing it's because it wouldn't have a clue what type of paper and ink you'll be using, but it'd be nice to get an idea what sort of contrat reduction I'm likely to get from LR to Blurb. I guess I could try soft proofing just a couple in Photoshop for comparison.

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    LR Version
    Well.....my Blurb book has arrived and I'm pretty pleased with it. Despite making no attempt at all to manage colours, they have come out pretty well, especially when you consider it was done using a laptop screen.

The only slight issue I have is that the shadows are slightly dark, although a lot of the photos were taken in very brght sunlight so there was a lot of contrast, and anything would have struggled. I am, however, being very picky and I've no doubt my parents will be delighted - nice reminder of a family holiday.

I've now got a decent screen and have just order a photometer device to calibrate it so results should be better.