Thread: New computer with a little twist

Experience
    Beginner
    Main OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    LR Version

New computer with a little twist

Hello,

I had downloaded a LR4 trial to my old PC. All my files are on an external hard drive. I have backed up the catalog.

So how do I start on the new PC?
    • Download LR4
    • Buy it
    • Restore the catalog?
    • What if the drive letter of the EHD is different?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rich

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Power User
    Main OS
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon D800E/D810
    File Format
    Raw
    You only need one purchase license. When you say "All my files are on an external hard drive", what exactly does that mean? You need at the minimum the original image copies and the catalog (*.lrcat file). When you open the "*.lrcat" file on the new PC with the copy of LR4, it will want to find the original image copies on the drive letter that was stored in the catalog. If this is not the case, you can do one of two things. You can reassign the Drive letter on the new computer to match the EHD designation of the old by following the instructions at this link http://www.lightroomforums.net/showthread.php?12166-How-to-Re-assign-a-Drive-Letter-on-Windows-(XP-Vista-and-7) The other thing you can do is click on the top level missing folder and choose "Find Missing Folder..." from the context menu and navigate to the correct location on the newly designated EHD drive letter.

Experience
    Beginner
    Main OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    LR Version
    Quote Originally Posted by clee01l View Post
    You only need one purchase license. When you say "All my files are on an external hard drive", what exactly does that mean? You need at the minimum the original image copies and the catalog (*.lrcat file). When you open the "*.lrcat" file on the new PC with the copy of LR4, it will want to find the original image copies on the drive letter that was stored in the catalog. If this is not the case, you can do one of two things. You can reassign the Drive letter on the new computer to match the EHD designation of the old by following the instructions at this link http://www.lightroomforums.net/showthread.php?12166-How-to-Re-assign-a-Drive-Letter-on-Windows-(XP-Vista-and-7) The other thing you can do is click on the top level missing folder and choose "Find Missing Folder..." from the context menu and navigate to the correct location on the newly designated EHD drive letter.
    Thanks Cleetus.

Yes, I did not buy LR4 on the old PC. So I jsut figured i'd wait to pay for the new PC.

All the pictures that are referenced in LR are on an EHD. The catalog file was backed up and is available on an EHD as well.

Thanks again,

Rich

Experience
    Beginner
    Main OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    LR Version
    Hello Clee0l. One last question.

Is there a preferences file somewhere that I need to move as well? I pulled in all the pictures, stacks, and keyword hierarchy, but it did not pull my saved keywords sets and other preferences.

thanks,

Rich

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Power User
    Main OS
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon D800E/D810
    File Format
    Raw
    Sorry, in my original post, I should have included this link to all of LRs critical files
    http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/...ighroom-3.html

Experience
    Beginner
    Main OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    LR Version
    Quote Originally Posted by clee01l View Post
    Sorry, in my original post, I should have included this link to all of LRs critical files
    http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/...ighroom-3.html

Thanks Cletus, that did the trick.

Rich