Thread: Film Strip working overtime in Lr4.

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.7.x Lion
    Memory
    4gb - 8gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    ATI
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Epson

Film Strip working overtime in Lr4.

Today I noticed that one of the Folders I opened had, side by side, in the film strip, the original (unedited) photo and the edited photos with their various Badges (132 instead of 61 photos). So far I haven't found the way to return to the normal single photo with it's various editing Badges that I prefer.

Never had this problem and hope someone can help me get things back to normal - and suggest what I may have done to cause the surprise.

Ray

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    16GB
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia GeForce GT 130
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Offsite Photo Lab
    Ray, is it your practice to create a Virtual Copies? I'm assuming this based on what you wrote. You would have your original (unedited) image and then a virtual copy or copies where you had made changes in the develop module. If that is the case, I am wondering if you had your images in "Stacks" and somehow selected them all and selected "Unstack". Unstacking would show them all displayed in the filmstrip. You know you have images Stacked when one image has a number with a little box around it indicating the number of images in the stack.
    Geek Stuff: LR5.5, Adobe Photoshop CC (2014) | Nik Collection | Topaz Labs Plug-Ins | Nikon D700 |15" Retina MacBook Pro, 512GB, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris Pro & NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M | iMac 2.93 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.7.x Lion
    Memory
    4gb - 8gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    ATI
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Epson
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsNikon View Post
    Ray, is it your practice to create a Virtual Copies? I'm assuming this based on what you wrote. You would have your original (unedited) image and then a virtual copy or copies where you had made changes in the develop module. If that is the case, I am wondering if you had your images in "Stacks" and somehow selected them all and selected "Unstack". Unstacking would show them all displayed in the filmstrip. You know you have images Stacked when one image has a number with a little box around it indicating the number of images in the stack.
    MrsNikon: Thanks for the reply. In order of your Comments/Questions: No, since the time of the Beta for Lr1- I never knowingly imported to create Virtual Copies - your description (I believe) is what I see in the Film Strip i.e.: the original followed by the edited file.
    I've (honestly and with some chagrin) never used "Stacking". SO, I do (now) see a small circle on each image which I assume identifies stackable images. Selecting a side by side "Pair" they go into a stack and I see a 2.
    I've just been unsuccessful in attaching 2 screenshots of these files in the Finder but was unable to position them after download - I'm out of time now and have decided to send this part of my response with a question. Must Stacking be done by each pair or is there a more efficient way?

My Thanks to you.
    Ray
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Finder SS 2 4:11:2012.jpg   Finder SS Duplicate Files 4:11:2012.jpg   _DSC0027.jpg  

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon D800E/D810
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Canon
    Files named "...DSC0098.DNG" and "...DSC0098-2.DNG" indicate the the same file was copied to the folder twice by the OS. Often this occurs because the user has imported the same image twice and did not have "Don't Import Suspected Duplicates" checked on the import dialog. Could this have happened to you?

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    16GB
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia GeForce GT 130
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Offsite Photo Lab
    Ray, after reading your response and seeing your screen shot, my hunch of virtual copies and stacks was a reach. I agree with Cletus, after looking at your screen shot you have imported the same image twice.
    Geek Stuff: LR5.5, Adobe Photoshop CC (2014) | Nik Collection | Topaz Labs Plug-Ins | Nikon D700 |15" Retina MacBook Pro, 512GB, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris Pro & NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M | iMac 2.93 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM

Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    12gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    ATI
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    HP
    Quote Originally Posted by RayH View Post
    Must Stacking be done by each pair or is there a more efficient way?
    In the Menu bar, Photo>Stacking>Collapse All Stacks will, well, collapse the stacks so that only the top image of each stack is shown in the grid. To expand all the stacks so that all stacked images are shown you would do Photo>Stacking>Expand All Stacks.
    Jim

Desktop: i7-930, 12gb RAM, 2 x SDD, 3 x Internal HDD, Win7 Pro 64bit
    Cameras: 5D MkIII, 7D