Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Sony
    File Format
    Raw

Angry Problem with Smart Collection using 'rating=0' in Lightroom 4

I'm starting to get the hang of Lightroom, and I'm becoming rather enthusiastic about it. That said, I have a serious frustration at the moment, which I'm hoping this forum can help with.

I can't get Smart Collections in Lightroom 4 to recognize unrated photos (don't know if this was a problem in Lightroom 3). I can get the collections to behave as expected with any value or range of values from 1 star to 5, but when I set 'rating=0', the collection matches either all ratings or none and I haven't figured out what determines which of those behaviors occurs. Adding, removing, or modifying the criterion will occasionally change the behavior. The behavior appears to be the same whether the rating criterion is set in the smart collection definition or in an attribute filter on the contents of the collection (which makes sense, as they're doing the same thing). Unfortunately, I don't have time to fiddle with it any more this morning, having already burned too much daylight on the matter. If this is a bug, and it certainly seems like one. Where is the appropriate place to report it to Adobe or find out whether they already know about it?

Cheers,
    Gregory

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    8gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon, Fuji, Olympus, Canon :)
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Offsite Photo Lab
    Gregory,

In your smart collection choose Rating is less than 1 star. (Not less than or equal).

Hal

p.s. I can also get it to work OK if I say "Rating is <no stars selected>". I don't see a way to even specify Rating = 0.
    Last edited by Hal P Anderson; 5 Apr 2012 at 11:36 am.

Experience
    Beginner
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Sony
    File Format
    Raw
    Well, for some reason it's working now. I'm doing the same thing I was before, so I really can't explain what happened. By the way, Hal, I was doing exactly what you described. I just described it less clearly. By 'rating=0' I mean 'rating is <no stars selected>'.

Cheers,
    Gregory