Thread: Library Help Please

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.6.x Snow Leopard
    LR Version

Library Help Please

I not new to Lightroom, but I certainly do not have a complete grasp of it.
    I use an iMac and a MacBook and have LightRoom 4 (as well as 2 & 3). My pictures are housed in my Drobo, on my iMac hard drive, my MacBook and a couple of separate external hard drives.
    I want to put all my photos into one library on the Drobo, removing them from both computers and the external hard drives. I can then make an archive so I have a copy of all my photos in a separate safe place.
    How do I do this? Can I do this in a way that LightRoom can still find the photos and maintain the existing catalog or will I need to make a new catalog?

Thanks, Dennis

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon D800E/D810
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Canon
    Dennis, Welcome to the forum. Are all of the scattered images in one catalog? If they are we can mange this is one of two ways. Either move the folders to the desired location in the LR folder panel or use the OS file system tools to move the folders and them reconnect the moved folders in LR.

If you have more than one catalog, then we'll need to consolidate everything into one master catalog. before we take the above steps.

So Answer this question and please provide a screen shot of the Folder panel in LR. Based upon the screen shot and your answers I'll know better which method to recommend.

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.6.x Snow Leopard
    LR Version
    Thanks for the reply. When I first started using LR2, I had no idea what the software was about or how to use it, so I imported some of my photos, both from iPhoto and Aperture, and from my memory cards, but not all because I was skeptical about what the program would do to my pictures, if anything. When I upgraded to LR3, I "imported" the existing catalog from LR2, but still did not import all my pictures as keywording, etc seemed like a daunting task (still does). I believe, but not sure, that the photos on my 2 computers are in the "Pictures" folder. I have a lot of pictures on my Drobo which I think are duplicates of what are in my computers.

I'm pretty sure that all the photos that I have imported into LR are in one catalog.

LR3 folder panelClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2012-04-03 at 5.48.34 AM.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	2076 Lr4 folder panelClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2012-04-03 at 5.51.05 AM.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	2077

As you can see, the folders for the Drobo are grayed out as it is not connected to my iMac. For some reason, when the Drobo is connected to the iMac, it tries to erase the Drobo, but not with the MacBook. I can see problems coming my way if i don't consolidate and archive.

Thanks, Dennis

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon D800E/D810
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Canon
    Dennis, More questions:
    • You have a Catalog on the MBP and a catalog on the iMac. Is that not two distinct catalogs?
    • Have you converted (not imported) all of your old catalogs to LR4?
    • Do you use TimeMachine? Or do you have another Backup solution?
    • You mention other EHDs. Can you enumerate and describe them?
    • Which Drobo do you have and what is the capacity?
    • How is the Drobo used? How is it configured? The Drobo is a RAID controller and has proprietary software. It may not be suitable for switching between computers as an External HD.
    • What is the capacity of the primary HD on the iMac. How much space is free?

I think the best approach is to designate one catalog as Master. If you want to use this catalog on both the iMac and the MBP, you will want to locate it on the Drobo or another EHD that can be physically attached to either machine. A better approach would be to keep the Master catalog on the iMac and only use the MBP with temporary catalogs that you import back into the master catalog.

Which approach do you want to use for you iMac and MBP? I am not certain why the iMac wants to erase the Drobo. As I said earlier, Drobo is a RAID Controller and uses proprietary software. How do you know that the iMac wants to erase the drive?