Thread: Help with moving files...

Experience
    Beginner
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    LR Version

Question Help with moving files...

Hi!
    Totally new to the forums, and sorta new to LR (been working with it for about a year, but it can do way more than I have used it for...) So, I am not sure that this is the right place for this question. I am currently going through Photoshop Cafe training on LR and learning a lot, but all the lessons deal with working on one PC.

I am working with a photographer who wants me to do basic edits to her photographs and she wants to put the finishing touches on them. We both have Windows 7 and LR 3.6. Up until now I have been working totally at the studio, but I need to do some of the work at home, if at all possible.

I create a collection and make modifications, but I can't figure out how to get them back to the studio in CR2 form, but also have the edits I have made? I have tried to export and import and just to copy the files and move them, but with no success. What am I doing wrong?

Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Alison

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon D800E/D810
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Canon
    Siamesecat, welcome to the forum. As you probably know the adjustments that you make to the CR2 files remain in LR until they are merged with the original CR2 data and exported as a JPEG.

What I think your photographer wants you to do is "Export As Catalog" with the checKbox labeled "Export negative files" checked. This will create a package that contains a catalog of just the file that you want to supply and copies of the original CR2 files in the folder structure that can be used by that new catalog.. You will then have a folder that contains a catalog (*.lrcat) and a folder with subfolders that contain copies of your CR2 originals. Your photographer can then open the catalog in the package and see exactly the adjustments that you have made applied to the CR2 files in the package. The photographer can then put the finishing topuches on these in LR or elsewhere and export the finished image as a JPEG or TIFF for the final target objective (print or digital).

Experience
    Beginner
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    LR Version
    Thank you Cletus!!
    I was able to move the files, including the edits. The only thing that didn't move was those that I had marked to delete. Did I do something wrong?
    Thanks Again!
    Alison

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon D800E/D810
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Canon
    If the images were marked as reject (X) and have not been removed from the catalog, then as long as you select these images along with the others then they will be included with the rest of the images in the Export as Catalog.

"Export as Catalog" has two means of selecting images. There is a checkbox labeled "Export Selected Photos Only" and a Default Selection of what images are showing in the current grid view. While your grid view can be the "All Photographs" collection, a Folder from the folder panel, or any collection, only the images showing in the grid will be considered. If you have a Filter on the grid view that (for example) excludes rejected (X) images then these rejected (X) images will be excluded from the Export.

There are three concepts that I think need clarification:
    • Reject (X) - Means only to mark an image with the Reject flag. The image remains in the catalog and on the HD.
    • Remove - Means to remove the image from the catalog. The image remains on the HD in the location originally referenced by the catalog
    • Remove from Collection - Means to remove the image from the collection. The image remains on the HD and in the catalog in the location originally referenced by the catalog. Pressing the {Del} key in a collection only removes the image from the collection
    • Delete Photo - Means to remove the selected image(s) from the catalog and the HD either from a menu item (Delete Photo) or pressing the {Del} key. The image is gone. There is a confirmation dialog letting you know how many images are selected and whether you want to Remove from the catalog or delete them from the HD and remove them from the catalog.

Experience
    Beginner
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    LR Version
    I am learning just how little I know... Your help has been very valuable, as you can tell I am not sure what exactly to ask.

I had 'marked as reject' using the X key. My intention was to show the images that didn't make my cut, while not removing them from the collection. All images did import, but not the rejected indicator. 100 images in the full catalog, 25 marked as reject, 70 edited, 5 left untouched with questions for the photographer (noted mentally not in LR). When imported all 100 images imported, the edited images show up, but the 25 marked as reject have no indication that they were marked as reject, and look just like the 5 I had questions about. I would like to give her the option to unflag an image, and learn from her as to why she would keep an image. Is this possible, or do I need to consider another means of noting the rejected photos for this purpose? Like a single star rating.

I apologize for the confusing questions. Thank you so much for you help.
    Alison

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon D800E/D810
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Canon
    Alison,
    The issue here is how LR treats Flags. You have LR 3.6 and the behavior is different in v3.x as opposed to LRv4. Flags are local to collections in v3.x so images marked reject (X) in a collection will not have a reject flag(X) if viewed in the folder or in the "All Photographs" collection. In LRv3.x what I would do was in a collection view, Select all of the Rejected images and then switch to the "All Photographs view. There I could assign a global Reject (X) flag. Once assigned, in the "All photographs" collection, the Reject (X) flag should persist in an Export as Catalog operation.

FWIW: In LRv4, all flags are global so you would not see this problem in LRv4.

Experience
    Beginner
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    LR Version
    Cletus, You are the bomb!! It worked like a charm. Thank you so much!
    I take it from your comment that you really like LRv4. We will probably be upgrading soon.
    Again, thanks so much for your help.
    Alison

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon D800E/D810
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Canon
    It's a worthy upgrade. Though some have had problems with the odd quirk, I have not.