Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Unique Keyword Problem

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Roseville, CA
    Posts
    8
    Experience
    Beginner
    Main OS
    Windows Vista 32-bit
    Memory
    3gb
    CPU Cores
    2
    LR Version
    4.0
    File Format
    JPEG

    Unique Keyword Problem

    Hello All - I'm new to this forum so hope I'm doing this right. Below is my problem/issue:

    I capture running, triathlon, mountain biking events and use a company called Backprint to host my events. I've just started using LR4 to tag, organize, and rename files, then upload the images to Backprints servers. Backprints program will import the tags which are used by participants to search for their images.

    I use bib numbers to tag participants in 95% of the images, but sometimes I use codes like ur, uf, uff, umf, etc. Images that are tagged with these codes are displayed in the admin section on Backprints web site with the prefix of "name-"(without the " though). Because of this, I have to go back through all the images after uploading to Backprint and remove all the "name-" for the system to read the tag correctly. Some of the events I capture generate over 5000 images!

    Am I missing a setting somewhere that will fix the problem of the "name-" prefix being added to the tag?

    Thanks - Keith

  2. #2
    Lightroom Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Port Deposit, Maryland USA
    Posts
    6,293
    Experience
    Intermediate
    Main OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    4gb - 8gb
    CPU Cores
    8
    LR Version
    4.2
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Keith, I'm not exactly grasping what's happening. And from the lack of traffic, I presume others may be having trouble as well.

    Can you try explaining a different way?

    Let's say competitor #345 rides by, and you get a burst of 5 images. In your edit process, you keyword the 5 files with the bib number 345.
    You export to a rendered image, probably a JPG.

    Then what happens, and what do you want to happen? What exactly do 'ur', et.al. have to do with anything? Is name- desired, or not desired.
    Does Backprints maintain some sort of index/search key for you somehow?


    (and FYI, this particular forum is for discussion concerning the operation of our forums, and the website in general, and not about Lr's website capabilities. I'll eventual move this thread to a more pertinent forum, but let's not confuse two issues at once )
    Last edited by Brad Snyder; 19 Mar 2012 at 9:05 pm.
    ......brad s Win7x64 (HPE) / i7-920 / 6GB / 2.67 GHz / tons o'drives / Canon/Sigma gear

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Roseville, CA
    Posts
    8
    Experience
    Beginner
    Main OS
    Windows Vista 32-bit
    Memory
    3gb
    CPU Cores
    2
    LR Version
    4.0
    File Format
    JPEG
    I wasn't sure where to post this really. I'm new to Lr and this forum.

    Lets forget about bib numbers because I'm not having any problem with them. It's the codes I use that is the issue. For example; uf = Unknown Female, um = Unknown Male, uff = Unknown Female Finish..etc. On the Backprint site, users can enter "uf" in a search field to pull up all the images of Unknown Females that I tagged with the "uf" code. Here is an event to check out: http://backprint.com/view_event.asp?...&EVENTID=97954

    I capture everything in JPG and make no changes to the images in Lr other than to tag, so I do not export.

    In the admin pages of Backprint, I can display images and tag them there. But doing it this way I have to first look at all the images from an event to see if it's marketable, categorize them, rename the files, upload to Backprints server, and then go through the images a second time to tag. With Lr I can view, delete if needed, and tag at the same time so after I upload the images, sometimes over 5000, I'm basically done.

    When I upload to Backprint, the codes I use are displayed in the keyword area in the admin page as name-uf, or name-um and the image is still considered not tagged by the Backprint's system. I'm beginning to think this is a Backprint issue because when I look at the detail of the image in Windows Explorer only the code is displayed, the name- is not in the tag filed.

    Backprint has never heard of this issue with any other photographer. Although, I don't think other photographers use codes like I do. They say it's an issue with Lr. I will contact them again tomorrow(3/20) and discuss it further with them.

    Thanks - Keith

  4. #4
    Lightroom Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Port Deposit, Maryland USA
    Posts
    6,293
    Experience
    Intermediate
    Main OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    4gb - 8gb
    CPU Cores
    8
    LR Version
    4.2
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Well, I'm pretty sure that Lr is not mysteriously injecting 'name-' in front of your keywords. (As seconded by Windows Explorer, which is the least common denominator of graphics file metadata browsers)
    ......brad s Win7x64 (HPE) / i7-920 / 6GB / 2.67 GHz / tons o'drives / Canon/Sigma gear

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Roseville, CA
    Posts
    8
    Experience
    Beginner
    Main OS
    Windows Vista 32-bit
    Memory
    3gb
    CPU Cores
    2
    LR Version
    4.0
    File Format
    JPEG
    I went back to my office and the images I had re-saved the metadata for after checking the XMP box and had the tags in the images. They weren't there after I saved but maybe I needed to reboot the system for the effect to show. I really don't know but they are there and that's all that matters.

    I'm having Backprint check into the issue on there end. Thanks for your assistance Brad.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •