Pentax
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Canon

Correcting images vs. processing pictures

Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    No you didn't sun2me!!!

I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT SPEED OF COMPUTER PERFORMANCE.

Speed of correcting images is what I mean...!
    JK
    OK, OK...whoooaaa... English is not my first language, but in my experience, that is exactly what the update does, makes it possible for you to process your pictures faster... unless you mean something completely different by the speed of correcting images...

This was my first post to this forum... what a welcome... hmmm...

Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    12gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    ATI
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    HP
    Hi, sun2me....welcome to the forum!

Don't worry....stick around and you'll soon find that this forum is almost always a very friendly place to talk about Lightroom! Look forward to your input...
    Jim

Desktop: i7-930, 12gb RAM, 2 x SDD, 3 x Internal HDD, Win7 Pro 64bit
    Cameras: 5D MkIII, 7D

Lightroom Queen / Owner
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.8.x Mountain Lion
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None
    Welcome to the forum sun2me! Sorry, frustrations with LR4 are running a little high right now. And your English is great, btw.

John, are you settled on staying with PV2010 now? Or can we help improve your speed with PV2012?
    Victoria

Lots of questions? Adobe Lightroom 5 - The Missing FAQ Book available now - PDF, ePub, Kindle & Paperback Discount code: LRF2011

Website: Lightroom Queen Blog - Follow me on Twitter as @LightroomQueen - Find me on Facebook

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    4gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    Asus nVidia GTX460
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    HP
    As far as 'the speed of editing', which mean to me the speed at which the program processes what I do with the sliders,
    I definately confirmed that in my case, what Brad suggested in post #6 is in fact my problem.
    I run a nVidia GTX 460, and the lag is definately tied to running the dual monitor function of LR4.

During some restoration work today, after the third picture,
    it got to the point where I was waiting up to 20 seconds for the picture to reflect the changes I made.
    I turned off the dual display function of LR4, and right away, the sliders responded fluidly.

So yes, it does take me longer to achive the end results I got with LR3.5, but only because Adobe broke something in LR4.
    And reading one of the posts about the update to LR4.1, it looks like I won't be updating to that either,
    because apparently, at least in the RC, they broke the update that was supposed to fix whatever it was they broke in the first place.

I'm guessing however, that when they finally get it right, LR4 will be faster than LR3.5.

Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    8gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Pentax
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Canon
    Quote Originally Posted by TNG View Post
    Hi, sun2me....welcome to the forum!

Don't worry....stick around and you'll soon find that this forum is almost always a very friendly place to talk about Lightroom! Look forward to your input...
    Thanks Jim

I will hang around... and I like what you said.... "almost always"...

Ebbe

Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    8gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Pentax
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Canon
    [QUOTE=Victoria Bampton;106853]Welcome to the forum sun2me! Sorry, frustrations with LR4 are running a little high right now.
    Thanks Victoria

I know... it's no big problem... the amount of good stuff luckily surpasses the few hiccups... ;-)

Ebbe

how often do we actually separate our computer performance from our processing time? the more lag, the slower our processing time; faulty 'Edit In' issues really mess up processing time for those who need to roundtrip.

BUT to try to answer what I think you were asking:
    in terms of managing your database and overall workflow in processing a high volume of images, i would say LR4 doesn't make things faster, by nature of itself. It doesn't revolutionize the flow of processing - that is pretty much the same since LR's inception.

My understanding is that LR4/PV2012 merely changes the way image tonality is identified, weighted, and controlled, while also expanding the capability of local adjustment brushes/gradients (but this is probably the reason for much of the lag). the added video/book/proof features are simply that, extra features/modules.

Therefore, I think actual improved processing time/efficiency, as always, depends on the individual's own workflow (ie. whether you do a lot of batch/paste adjustments vs fine-tuning every image). And like anything, with practice/mastery comes quickness. That being said, the learning curve of LR4/PV2012 probably decreased everyone's processing time, initially.

note:
    i do think the re-organization of Exposure/Recovery/Brightness/Blacks into Whites/Highlights/Shadows/Blacks with -0+ is more logical/flexible, but figuring out the qualitative effect of each compared to 3.x is tricky. Took me a while, still learning. So if that intuitive understanding of tone allows you to work faster, then so be it.

In general though, the more resource-intensive computer performance has increased my processing time. But I'm also integrating new techniques with every successive project/set, so it's hard to say.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12