CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    File Format
    Raw

Keywords problem

Hello,

First time posting. I did a search but couldn't find my issue.

When I transferred all my pictures and LR catalog from my old computer to my new one, a lot of my keywords were missing. Not all of them, but a fair number. Is there any way to retrieve these?

Thanks.

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    8gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    File Format
    Raw
    Another bit of info. I downloaded LR4 yesterday and although all of my keywords are there, there's no images associated with them. In other words when I go to my keyword list, I see the keyword, but no image.

Any ideas?

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    LR Version
    Hi. I'm having the same problem. Individual photos are missing keywords, but when I select a group of photos, all the keywords for the group are visible. What's up? I've got years worth of keywording - a lot of work on 30000 photos. How do I get them reattached?

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    8gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    File Format
    Raw
    Quote Originally Posted by megellens View Post
    Hi. I'm having the same problem. Individual photos are missing keywords, but when I select a group of photos, all the keywords for the group are visible. What's up? I've got years worth of keywording - a lot of work on 30000 photos. How do I get them reattached?
    Sorry, I can't help you as I haven't found an answer myself. I've actually started the arduous task of applying the keywords again. Fortunally, the keywords are there so I don't have to re-type them all.

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon D800E/D810
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Canon
    Welcome to the forum to both of you. I must apologize for me and the rest of the Gurus for having missed this post. Since the release of LR4 it has gotten quite hectic around here and unfortunately your post fell through the crack. Hopefully, the traffic will settle down soon an new issues will get promptly addressed.

First, Tomwom, Can you go into more detail on what steps you took to copy your catalog and master image copies to the new computer in LR3? Do you still have access to the old computer and can you see the Keywords there? Second, What tells you that your keywords are missing? (please be specific).
    When you upgraded to LR4, LR4 converted your LR3 catalog to the new Structure, If the LR3 Catalog is missing applied keywords, So will the converted LR45 catalog.

Next, megellens, Is your issue justs an LR4 issue, and only happened after the upgrade?

And for Both of you, In the keywording panel (right pane) There is a dropDownListBox field labeled "Keyword Tags:" What is the entry in that field and what happens when you change that dropDownListBox to {Keywords and Containing Keywords}?

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    8gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    File Format
    Raw
    Quote Originally Posted by clee01l View Post
    Welcome to the forum to both of you. I must apologize for me and the rest of the Gurus for having missed this post. Since the release of LR4 it has gotten quite hectic around here and unfortunately your post fell through the crack. Hopefully, the traffic will settle down soon an new issues will get promptly addressed.

First, Tomwom, Can you go into more detail on what steps you took to copy your catalog and master image copies to the new computer in LR3? Do you still have access to the old computer and can you see the Keywords there? Second, What tells you that your keywords are missing? (please be specific).
    When you upgraded to LR4, LR4 converted your LR3 catalog to the new Structure, If the LR3 Catalog is missing applied keywords, So will the converted LR45 catalog.

Next, megellens, Is your issue justs an LR4 issue, and only happened after the upgrade?

And for Both of you, In the keywording panel (right pane) There is a dropDownListBox field labeled "Keyword Tags:" What is the entry in that field and what happens when you change that dropDownListBox to {Keywords and Containing Keywords}?
    Thanks for replying Cletus. I had LR3 installed on the new computer along with the LR catalog backups. After I downloaded and installed LR4 I followed the instructions about upgrading the catalog from LR3. After the catalog finished upgrading over from LR3 I noticed the images weren't showing the little keyword symbol in the lower right corner. The keywords themselves were in the keyword list, but there was no images associated with any of them. Hope this makes sense.

As far as the "keywords and Containing Keywords" dropdown list, it makes no difference, still nothing.

I am totally puzzled by this. Other than this issue, I LOVE LR4!

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    LR Version

In looking back into my LR3, I see it has the same problem. Just before I upgraded to LR4, I moved everything to my new computer. However, the keywords are not all there on my old computer either. Some of these photos go back to 2001, and some show the keywords while others don't.
    As far as the keywording dropdown, nothing changes when I select {keywords and containing keywords}.

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon D800E/D810
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Canon
    OK Tomwom so this is an issue exclusively to LR4? Can you post a screen shot of your right panel showing the "Keywording" Panel and the "Keyword List" panel"

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    8gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    File Format
    Raw
    OK Tomwom so this is an issue exclusively to LR4? Can you post a screen shot of your right panel showing the "Keywording" Panel and the "Keyword List" panel"
    That's right, exclusively a LR4 issue.
    Keep in mind that I have been doing some keywording, thus the reason you see some associated files.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	1994
    Last edited by tomwom; 16 Mar 2012 at 3:45 pm.

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon D800E/D810
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Canon
    So you are saying that in updating the v3 catalog to v4 all keyword had 0 images associated with them? Do you still have the V3 catalog and LR3? Can you open the V3 Catalog with LR3 and report the status of the keyword associations there?

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    8gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    File Format
    Raw
    Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying, 0 images. I just opened LR3 and it would appear that around half of the keywords are missing, although the ones that show up have images associated with them. Very strange, something must have gone wrong transferring my catalog from one computer to the other.

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon D800E/D810
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Canon
    How often do you run your LR backups? Can you (with LR3) open successive backups in the backups folder until you find a backup containing keywords?
    FWIW, recently I managed to set unique captions and titles to a single value on over 6000 images. I was able to recover these using a month old backup. Fortunately I did not have many new images added to the catalog since that back up. If you can find a catalog with the correct Keywords, we can help you get back to where you need to be.

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    8gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    File Format
    Raw
    Okay, everything's fine now. It seems that when I had LR4 beta installed on my old computer it messed with my keywords on LR3 somehow. I uninstalled the beta from my old computer and all the keywords showed up in LR3. I don't know how this occurred, but all is fine now.

Thank you for all your help, much appreciated!

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    LR Version
    Sorry I didn't post this sooner... I figured out that if I put just one of the keywords into a photo, LR4 added all the others that should have been there. I did a search on photos without keywords, then went through them as groups and added the highest level, most common, keyword for the group and all the other keywords followed. Strange. But I guess it worked.

I don't know about the captions, Sue, since I don't often use them. I'll think about it, tho, and let you know if I can come up with anything. I have previously converted from PSE to LR, so maybe I'll try it again.

Thanks to everyone for their help.