Thread: Enter serial number, click finish, and lightroom just closes. :(

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.6.x Snow Leopard
    LR Version

Enter serial number, click finish, and lightroom just closes. :(

I have a serial number that I purchased. I thought you could install it on both a desktop computer and a laptop. It works fine on my desktop. When I tried to put it on my laptop, I enter the code, click next and wether I enter registration info or not and click finish, Lightroom just closes and when you try to open it again it goes back to the "you have 0 days left on your trial, purchase or buy" window. First I completely uninstalled Lightroom and re-downloaded it. Got the same thing. So then I figured it was because I couldn't download it on my laptop so I got ANOTHER copy from from the school I teach at. Its doing the same thing!?! What gives? I just want to use Lightroom on my laptop! Please help! THANKS!

I have also tried checking the permissions, checked to make sure I was in an admin account and tried doing what this article said. http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/401/kb401346.html ..... still no luck.

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon D800
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Canon
    Welcome to the forum. Was this an upgrade license or a full License? If it is an upgrade license, LR looks to find a valid license for prior the full version. If it fails to find this then it should ask for all prior licenses.

Also check the Laptop for a file named "Lightroom 3.0 Registration" in the path: "/Users/{yourUserName}/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom" If this file is not present, LR is not registering properly and we'll n eed to look further into the cause.

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.6.x Snow Leopard
    LR Version
    Both numbers I tried were full licenses. I checked the path and that file is present. When I try to open it, it opens in text edit. That link I tried earlier had me delete some numbers out of there and save it again. It didn't help. Thanks for your help!

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon D800
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Canon
    Quote Originally Posted by pictaker9 View Post
    Both numbers I tried were full licenses. I checked the path and that file is present. When I try to open it, it opens in text edit. That link I tried earlier had me delete some numbers out of there and save it again. It didn't help. Thanks for your help!
    Something to try: Rename the file "Lightroom 3.0 Registration" forcing LR to create a new one when you register it again. It is possible that by editing the file with a text editor, it no longer conforms to the structure that LR expects. Also, If that does not let you open a registered LR, rename your preferences file. It should be located in "/Users/{yourUserName}/Library/Preferences" and named "com.adobe.Lightroom3.plist". Sometimes the preference file will get corrupt too. Renaming it forces LR toy create a fresh new one on start-up. Both of these files are plain text files and can be viewed with any ASCII text editor.

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.6.x Snow Leopard
    LR Version
    Renamed both files you suggested. It made new ones when I tried to open LR again it did the same ol, put in a serial number, so I did, then it closes. Thank you again so much for helping me Cletus.

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon D800
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Canon
    Well, I'm fresh out of ideas. If I understand, your LR install on the Laptop runs as a 30 day trial but will immediately close if you supply it with a valid registration and you have tried this with two separate valid LR 3.x registration serial numbers?

Perhaps some additional experienced eyes can see a cause and better a solution.

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    More than 8gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    ATI
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    HP
    You could try copying the file "Lightroom 3.0 Registration.lrreg" in folder "Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/" from your desktop to your laptop while LR is closed and see if LR starts normal.

Beat
    Beat Gossweiler

Canon 1Ds MkII | Canon 5D MkII | CANON EF 24-105mm F/4.0 L IS | CANON EF 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6L IS | CANON EF 100mm F/2.8 Makro
    HP Color Laserjet CP3505X

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.6.x Snow Leopard
    LR Version
    Cletus: The trial is expired and Im just trying to use my serial number now. But after I type it in, Lightroom just closes and nothing else happens. Yes I've tried with two different serial numbers, both getting the green checkmark of approval after typing them in.
    Beat: Thank you, I tried that and it just did the same thing.

Thank you both for your help. This is driving me nuts!! I just want to be able to use my computer!

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon D800
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Canon
    Can you duplicate the file named "Lightroom 3.0 Registration"and then edit the duplicate with a text editor to edit out the serial number(s) and then attach that file to a follow up post?
    The result should look something like this:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    	<key>original_serial_number</key>
    	<string>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX</string>
    	<key>serial_number</key>
    	<string>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX</string>
    	<key>uuid</key>
    	<string>AE00ABBF-C0FB-4CF7-8B74-DF82709AC1B1</string>
    </dict>
    </plist>
    I would like to see if there are any discrepancies between your registration and one that works.

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.6.x Snow Leopard
    LR Version
    This is what mine looks like. It only had a serial number in the spot were the x's are, not in two spots like yours. Should I try to put mine in like that?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen shot 2012-02-23 at 3.24.10 PM.png  

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.6.x Snow Leopard
    LR Version
    Just fyi, I tried to put that number in a second time above the other, like your screenshot. It didn't help. Did the same thing. Ugh I am so frustrated.

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon D800
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Canon
    I'm baffled. The reason my plist looks like it does with two S/Ns is because my 3.x license is an upgrade. I need to also provice the 2.x license two to satisfy Adobe's upgrade requirements. I have no clue as to why you can't properly register the laptop. If no one else here has any ideas, you probably should take it up with Adobe.

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.6.x Snow Leopard
    LR Version
    Hey all. I broke down and contacted tech support. After a quick download of the newest lightroom update it now works fine. So simple. Geesh. Thanks for all your help. Just wanted to let y'all know what it was.