Thread: How to move LR files to an external hard drive?

Experience
    Beginner
    Primary OS
    Windows XP
    LR Version

How to move LR files to an external hard drive?

I really need to clean up my computer as I am down to 24gb of free space. I have an external hard drive that I would like to move my LR files to but I am not sure how to do this without damaging any files or the program should I need to recall any of them. Can some help with this?

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon D800E/D810
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Canon
    Mary, Welcome to the forum.

There are three parts to Lightroom. These need to be addressed individually. The first I'll discuss are your master images. By default, these are stored in your "My Pictures" Folder but you may have chosen another location. The easiest way to move thes is if you have a top level Parent folder that you can just Drag to the Ext HD.
    1. Begin by clicking on the (+) in the Folder panel header.
    2. Choose {Add Folder...} from the context menu
    3. Navigate to your EHD in the standard windows dialog that pops up and choose or create a folder to be the container for your Image folders to be moved.
    4. Next, still in the folder panel, select the top level folder that contains all of your images and drag it to the new EHD folder now showing in the folder panel.
    This will move the images and synchronize the LR catalog pointers to those image to the new location. While you can move the same folder package outside of LR LR's pointers will still be pointing to the old location and you will need to repair this in LR using the "Find Missing Folder.." option.

The other two parts to Lightroom are the Catalog and the Preview Cache folders. These stay together in the same folder but that folder can also be moved to the EHD if the EHD is a local USB connected HD and Not on the Network as a NAS. For now, you might want to keep the catalog on the primary HD and see how much space is freed up with the master images getting moved.

Experience
    Beginner
    Primary OS
    Windows XP
    LR Version
    Thanks Cletus! I really do appreciate the help. I think you have spelled it out pretty clearly for me. If I run into problems I will come back to you! Thank you again!
    Mary