Thread: How can I compress my picture Files without taking the quality

Experience
    Beginner
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    LR Version

How can I compress my picture Files without taking the quality

I need help! I shot a wedding and I am finished editing and I already exported all the pictures to my desktop. The file is over 6GB for all the pictures and I cannot put them all on a DVD+R. How do I compress the pictures in Lightroom without taking away the quality? Thank you

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    16 GB
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon D700, Sony Nex 5N, iPhone, Olympus compact
    File Format
    Raw+Jpeg
    Printer
    Offsite Photo Lab
    Well, you need to get down from 6 GB to 4,7 GB total. I guess you exported the photos from LR with a certain setting in quality. You'll have to export with a slightly lower quality. Or a slightly smaller pixel width/height.

Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    > I shot a wedding and I am finished editing and I already exported all the pictures to my desktop.
    > The file is over 6GB for all the pictures and I cannot put them all on a DVD+R.

I know this isn't really your question, but is there any reason you couldn't put this on two DVDs? Alternately you could use a dual-layer DVD if it absolutely had to be on one disk (~8GB). Maybe you're making 500 copies, so you want just one DVD? Sorry, just trying to figure out your "use case" here.

> How do I compress the pictures in Lightroom without taking away the quality?

You can't compress without losing "quality" if you're using JPG, so the real question is how much quality you are willing to lose. If you were shooting in JPG on your camera, then your image was already compressed. The cameras I've used usually have a ~10:1 JPG compression when using the "best" mode. Outside of specially crafted "test images", a 10:1 JPG compression is usually pretty indiscernible to your average person - and I'm well below average in that regard! :-) So if you had a Canon 7D (18 megapixel) camera shooting JPG, I would expect the file size of each image to be about 5 megabytes (uncompressed: 5184x3456 x 3 colors ~ 51.26 megabytes. 10 to 1 compression ~ 5.1 megabytes.) Some images compress better than others obviously, so that's just a ballpark figure.

If you're shooting RAW then you are ahead of the game since your image, although compressed, should be loss-less. So now you're just in the "game" of determining a compression ratio which fits onto a DVD. The previous poster mentioned cropping your images, which will reduce the pixel count and thus reduce file size. That will save file size without affecting the quality. You could also reduce the pixel count on export across the board (without cropping.) If these images are destined for printing, then you obviously want to maintain the highest quality (i.e. lowest compression) that you can. If these are destined for web/facebook/etc., then reducing the pixel count is probably your best path.

Sorry, there is no magic bullet here. :-(

Dave O