Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    40D
    File Format
    Raw+Jpeg

How do I turn off auto-import?

How do I turn off auto-import? I prefer to upload manually to my hard disk, then selectively import into Lightroom.

- When I go to File > Auto Import, it is not enabled, nor will it let me enable it... yet it still seems to be enabled.
    - I upload photos using a card reader.
    - I have LR 3.2 and Windows 7 64-bit.

Thanks.

Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    12gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    ATI
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    HP
    Hi, welcome to the forum.

File>Auto Import relates to the concept of having Lightroom automatically import photos from a designated 'watched folder' to a designated 'Auto Import' folder, useful for example when tethering and your particular camera model is not supported by Lightroom's tethering function. So you could use the camera manufacturer's own capture software and have it dump captured shots into the designated 'watched folder'.

However, I suspect you are talking about the fact that when you insert a card into the card reader Lightroom is automatically launched with the Import Screen loaded? In which case you can turn this feature off by editing your preferences.....Edit>Preferences>General Tab and deselect the option to "Show import dialog when a memory card is detected".
    Jim

Desktop: i7-930, 12gb RAM, 2 x SDD, 3 x Internal HDD, Win7 Pro 64bit
    Cameras: 5D MkIII, 7D

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon D800
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Canon
    Quote Originally Posted by TNG View Post
    ...However, I suspect you are talking about the fact that when you insert a card into the card reader Lightroom is automatically launched with the Import Screen loaded? In which case you can turn this feature off by editing your preferences.....Edit>Preferences>General Tab and deselect the option to "Show import dialog when a memory card is detected".
    You can also set which program is invoked by windows whenever you insert a camera card by setting the default in Autoplay (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\AutoPlay )