Thread: Why does my Lightroom temporarily pixelate photos after every change?

Experience
    Beginner
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 32-bit
    LR Version

Why does my Lightroom temporarily pixelate photos after every change?

Hi there! I'm new to Lightroom and I started having an annoying problem a while ago. I tried the help of photo.stackexchange but they couldn't find a solution. Can you help me? For example images and the workarounds tried so far, please check the original post here.

I'm using Adobe Lightroom 3.0. I go to develop mode and everything is fine (the photo is sharp). After I do any change (saturation, fill light, sharpness... whatever) the photo automatically gets pixelated. In other words, the photo turns into what seems to be a thumbnail enlarged too much you know the look.

I found that when I zoom in, Lightroom displays "Loading..." and then the photo is once again sharp and in 1:1. I then zoom out, and the photo now displays correctly once again. But if I do any other change, the problem will be repeated.

What's wrong? Anyone have the same problem? I couldn't find a solution anywhere.

My system: Core 2 Duo @2.33GHz, 2GB ram, Geforce 8800GTS, 7200rpm hdd.

Catalog's Previews folder has 580MB and the catalog.lrcat itself has 24MB. It contains 2070 jpg photos.

Lightroom Queen / Owner
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None
    Hi DiAlex, welcome to the forum!

Ok, couple of questions for you...

1/ Update to 3.4.1, which is the latest free update, and see if that solves it.

2/ If that doesn't do the trick, are you seeing this in the Library module or Develop module? That'll give us a clue as to what's happening. I have a few ideas already, but I don't want to send you down a wild goose chase!!!
    Victoria

Lots of questions? Adobe Lightroom 5 - The Missing FAQ Book available now - PDF, ePub, Kindle & Paperback Discount code: LRF2011

Website: Lightroom Queen Blog - Follow me on Twitter as @LightroomQueen - Find me on Facebook

Experience
    Beginner
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 32-bit
    LR Version
    Thank you so much for your kind reply
    1) How do I get that update? Do I need some download link or do I use the "Check for updates" of Lightroom?
    2) I'm on the Develop module and it happens with the grand majority of the photos (JPG) when I do a simple retouch, e.g.+1 Blacks.

Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Memory
    8gb
    CPU Cores
    LR Version
    Camera
    Nikon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Epson
    Quote Originally Posted by DiAlex View Post
    Thank you so much for your kind reply
    1) How do I get that update? Do I need some download link or do I use the "Check for updates" of Lightroom?
    Just use the Update in the Help menu. I'll leave Victoria to guide you with the rest.
    Welcome to the Lightroom world and Enjoy!!
    Geoff Walker,
    New Zealand.

Lightroom Queen / Owner
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None
    So kind of your Geoff!

DiAlex, are you continuing to see this problem on 3.4.1? There were a lot of bugs fixed between 3.0 and 3.4.1, so I'm hoping this is one of them!
    Victoria

Lots of questions? Adobe Lightroom 5 - The Missing FAQ Book available now - PDF, ePub, Kindle & Paperback Discount code: LRF2011

Website: Lightroom Queen Blog - Follow me on Twitter as @LightroomQueen - Find me on Facebook

Experience
    Beginner
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 32-bit
    LR Version
    Dear Victoria
    I updated to 3.4.1 as you suggested (and also deleted all 1:1 previews, just in case). I tested a while and I think I figured it out.

Let's suppose I want to change the Blacks to +5. For me LR doesn't have a quick and pratical way to undo-redo the last operation as Photoshop has, with its "special" CTRL+Z. I know, I know, I can use CTRL+Z and CTRL+Y but I'm too used to PS, my bad So, I tend to type the number +5 instead of moving the control slide. This allows me to use the Ctrl+Z to alternate between the previous value (zero) and the last value (plus five), which simulates the PS behavior. However, while the "typing" is active (the background of the box is white with the cursor blinking) the photo gets pixelated. As soon as I hit enter and the number gets final it's as if the image gets rendered and that pixelated aspect disappears. I also noticed that using the slide produces the same behavior. Hence I'm lead to conclude that LR only renders correctly the photo when the user "confirms" the change either by pressing enter or by halting left-clicking the slider - during that time it only gives a rough pixelated preview of the change.

Adobe must have corrected some other bug, because with version 3.0 even after confirming the retouch the photo would get rendered as now is (thx for advising the update!) I don't know if this is considered a bug or if the developers just decided to leave it this way and don't offer a high quality live preview of the changes being made.

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Power User
    Memory
    12GB
    CPU Cores
    More than 8
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    Canon
    You can also alternate between [Ctrl][Z] and [Ctrl][Shift][Z] to simulate the (rather non-standard) way of undoing in Photoshop.

I read through your problem and looked at my two windows systems and cannot duplicate your pixelating behavior. As I enter numbers in the field (lets say, 1 then add 0 to make 10 and then add another 0 to make 100 in the blacks, the view renders and updates immediately on typing the zeroes. If I backspace back over the zeros to just 1, it updates on the fly with no pixelation.

Could you provide some information on your video card and the driver version you have installed?
    ~Rikk Flohr

LR Keyword Lists
    here, Imaging Blog here & Holy Crop! here
    Desktop: Win 7 64Bit, 12-Core, 12 GB, 9.5 TB of HD Laptop: MacBook Pro Retina 15", 10.8.4, 2.6 Quad Duo, 16 GB, PS CC

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Intermediate
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    4gb - 8gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    ATI
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    HP
    And I haven't chimed in so far, but my first impression back at the OP is that's not a lot of PC to expect snappy Lr performance from. I believe it meets the minimum required specs, but that's about all.

Not what the OP wants to hear, I'm sure, but that may be playing a role as well.
    ......brad s Win7x64 (HPE) / i7-920 / 6GB / 2.67 GHz / tons o'drives / Canon/Sigma gear

Lightroom Queen / Owner
    Experience
    Power User
    Primary OS
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    nVidia
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    None
    Have you got lens corrections, local adjustments, something along those lines turned on too? I can't replicate it, but Brad might be right about the system specs showing behaviour on yours that's too quick to see on mine.
    Victoria

Experience
    Advanced
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    12gb
    CPU Cores
    Video Card
    ATI
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Printer
    HP
    Yeah, I thought the system spec might be a factor as well....trouble is on my steam-driven laptop which has an even worse spec I don't see the issue at all. Yes it's slow, but don't see any pixelation.
    Jim

Desktop: i7-930, 12gb RAM, 2 x SDD, 3 x Internal HDD, Win7 Pro 64bit
    Cameras: 5D MkIII, 7D

Experience
    Beginner
    Primary OS
    Windows 7 32-bit
    LR Version
    I hope you can all see an example of what I'm talking about here. It's fairly noticeable over the letters.

I have a Core2Duo E6550 @ 2.33Ghz, GeForce 8800GTS, the latest driver (version:280.26, 2011.08.09).

Thx for your effort.