Thread: burning pictures on cd and backup on HD

Main OS
    Windows XP
    LR Version

burning pictures on cd and backup on HD

hello out-there.

Im looking for some help to make Lightroom behave;o).

I need to burn files to cd for printing on another location. At the same time I need to store files on 2 HDs, both containing information about changes.

So far Im using Lr3 with cdburnerxp, because Im, as far as I know, not able to export both to a cd and to my back-up drive in the same workflow.

The main issue for me is, that when Lr3 exports my files to cdburnerxp to be burned it is done in bits of approx. 30 mb. If I manually make a compilation it works just fine.

Have I missed something or is there a better workflow for my tasks?

thanks in advance,

Keld

Experience
    Advanced
    Main OS
    Mac 10.9.x Mavericks
    Other OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Hi, welcome to the forum.

Not sure I understand the issue with using cdburnerxp....wouldn't it be more straightforward to burn direct to CD from the export menu? I know that you would then have to repeat the export to get the files onto hard drive, but that seems pretty simple enough if you've already got the files selected. Or am I missing something? I definitely don't understand the point about '30mb bits', so exactly how are you getting the data to cdburnerxp?
    Jim

Laptop: Late 2013 MacBook Pro, 16gb Ram, 512gb SSD, 2 x External HDD
    Desktop: i7-930, 12gb RAM, 2 x SDD, 3 x Internal HDD, Win7 Pro 64bit
    Cameras: 5D MkIII, 7D, Panasonic DMC-FZ1000

Lightroom Queen / Owner
    Experience
    Power User
    Main OS
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Other OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Hi Keld, welcome to the forum!

So, just to clarify:

Which files are you wanting to put on the 2 hard drives - the files that you're burning for printing, or the original files with their settings? And when you say 2 hard drives, is that including your working one, or 2 additional hard drives?
    Victoria

Lots of questions? Adobe Lightroom 5 - The Missing FAQ Book available now - PDF, ePub, Kindle & Paperback Discount code: LRF2011

Website: Lightroom Queen Blog - Follow me on Twitter as @LightroomQueen - Find me on Facebook

Main OS
    Windows XP
    LR Version
    Hi and thanks for your response.

First I would like to avoid to repeat the export and that is the reason why Ive chosen cdburnerxp. Actually I hoped, that Lr3 could do both in the same workflow. One more reason to avoid 2 x export is my (my jobs) hardware, pentium 4, 3 ghz, which is more suitable on a tecnical museum, but so far there is no signs of getting a new one.

On my working drive I want to keep the original RAW-files in one folder and within this folder I want a new folder, containing a JPEG-copy with the changes Ive made, which will be the folder to be burned. All this fuzz to make sure, that I can print the jpegs again, without to have to change them again, which would be kind of difficult. Its. not possible to store RAW files on the cd to be burned, because the color-lab doent support RAW.

I hope this explains my question. If not, please dont hesitate to ask again.

thanks,

Keld

Lightroom Queen / Owner
    Experience
    Power User
    Main OS
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Other OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Makes perfect sense Keld! In that case I'd make it really simple - export the JPEGs to your folder as planned, and then run the cd burn separately using your cd burning software rather than trying to burn with LR.
    Victoria

Lots of questions? Adobe Lightroom 5 - The Missing FAQ Book available now - PDF, ePub, Kindle & Paperback Discount code: LRF2011

Website: Lightroom Queen Blog - Follow me on Twitter as @LightroomQueen - Find me on Facebook

Main OS
    Windows XP
    LR Version
    Im glad that my workflow isnt that stupid or oldfashioned.

My problem is now, that when Lr3 exports my files as described and opens cdburnerxp the real problem starts.

When exporting ex. 165 pictures, cdburnerxp opens 15 or 16 compilations, each containing a number of pictures a total of approx. 30 mb.

When selecting the files with the pathfinder in cdburnerxp it works just fine, so I think, that the problem lies in the way Lr3 exports files to cdburnerxp, or am I wrong?

regards,

Keld
    Last edited by kboj; 9 May 2011 at 12:24 am.

Lightroom Queen / Owner
    Experience
    Power User
    Main OS
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Other OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    I would stop LR sending the files to cdburnerxp personally - just let it export to the folder and then you make the dvd. It's probably a combination of LR sending a string of photos at a time, and cdburnerxp then imagining they're supposed to the separate dvd's.
    Victoria

Main OS
    Windows XP
    LR Version
    Ive just tried to make another user preset in the export dialog box, using Nero start smart and then exported 170 pictures to a hard drive. It came out with the same result, though I didnt count the number of compilations, but believe me, a lot. This was to determine, if the problem was in cdburnerxp, but now it seems to me, that it is the way Lr3 exports files to the burning software?

I just cant imagine, that its the way its ment to be, considering the overall quality of Lr3.

regards,

Keld

Lightroom Queen / Owner
    Experience
    Power User
    Main OS
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Other OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Hang on, are you 32-bit or 64-bit? Have you tried the 'cd/dvd' option at the top of the export dialog where it usually says 'hard drive'? I don't think that'll solve your workflow problem, because you'd still have to run 2 exports, but that's the way the cd exporting is supposed to work. If you're adding them as an 'open in' program at the bottom, then all Lightroom is doing is passing a series of file paths to the other program. Windows operating system limits the length of the path, which would explain why it's passing it in chunks.
    Victoria

I have been exporting 140 DNG file photos on to a CD so that I can play it on televisions through a DVD recorder / players both here and at friends / relatives houses. However, there are problems!!!

It took about 2 hours to convert them all to jpeg files and when eventually this was done and I loaded the CD into my player to show them the quality of the photos was not good and also a message appeared on my Tv screen on some of the files saying that they couldn't be displayed on 'this unit'.

Can any one advise why it took so long to convert to jpeg and burn to CD?

Also could I have left them as DNG?

Should I have burnt them onto a DVD instead?

Is the photo quality more likely to be an issue with my TV setting or the ability of my DVD player?

Help please!

Lightroom Queen / Owner
    Experience
    Power User
    Main OS
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Other OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Hi pipnat51, welcome to the forum!

What are you using to burn the cd? Are you just putting straight JPEGs on the cd and hoping it'll play, or using something like Nero to burn a AVCD that's designed for playing in dvd players?

What are your computer specs?
    Victoria