Thread: After moving catalogue LR cannot see file location even after being shown

After moving catalogue LR cannot see file location even after being shown

I moved my catalogue (LR 3.3) form pc to a new Mac Pro, using the procedure set out in Victoria's blog. The catalogue appears to have moved just fine, but when I try to work with any image file, they all have the little question mark indicating that LR cannot locate the image file. I click on it & show LR where the image file is, locating it on the external hard drive where I keep all the files. It refuses to use that file, giving me an error message: "the file 'xyz.NEF' is already associated with another file in the catalogue'. Then to bring matters further into the twilight zone, it offers a button to click to 'show in library' (presumably show the "other" file it thinks is associated with that name), if I click it it takes me back to the original thumbnail which still has the question mark. How do I get LR to see the files?

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Advanced
    Main OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    More than 8gb
    CPU Cores
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Rich,

Try right-clicking (I think ctrl-click on Mac) on the top level folder in your folder panel, choose "Find missing Folder" and point it to the folder where the files reside. This should re-connect all the images within that folder structure. Repeat for other top-level folders if you have more than one.

Beat
    Beat Gossweiler

Canon 1Ds MkII | Canon 5D MkII | CANON EF 24-105mm F/4.0 L IS | CANON EF 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6L IS | CANON EF 100mm F/2.8 Makro
    HP Color Laserjet CP3505X

Hi Beat, thanks for your suggestion but I think you may be mistaken about this. Right clicking on the top level folder does not provide "find missing folder" 'as an option.

Any ideas anyone? I cannot reach adobe on the phone (several hours wait time) and I am getting no response to my support inquiry on their website.

Lightroom Queen / Owner
    Experience
    Power User
    Main OS
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Other OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    16gb
    CPU Cores
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Hi Rich

I was just about the reply to your blog comment, but it's far easier to chat here. Can you post a screenshot of your folders panel?
    Victoria

Lots of questions? Adobe Lightroom 5 - The Missing FAQ Book available now - PDF, ePub, Kindle & Paperback Discount code: LRF2011

Website: Lightroom Queen Blog - Follow me on Twitter as @LightroomQueen - Find me on Facebook

Lightroom Guru
    Experience
    Advanced
    Main OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Memory
    More than 8gb
    CPU Cores
    LR Version
    Camera
    Canon
    File Format
    Raw
    Rich,

Also, can you hover with your mouse over the content of the Folder field in the metadata panel, and see what path LR shows for a missing image there? How does it compare to where you think the photo resides?

Beat

P.S: Thought I put in this post already a few hours ago, but it somehow has gone walkabout :-(
    Beat Gossweiler

Canon 1Ds MkII | Canon 5D MkII | CANON EF 24-105mm F/4.0 L IS | CANON EF 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6L IS | CANON EF 100mm F/2.8 Makro
    HP Color Laserjet CP3505X