PDA

View Full Version : Applying a sequence of Develop Presets

JBtheLD
13 Feb 2008, 4:12 am
Working as a Professional Lighting Designer I take a huge number of theatrical photos of shows that I have created the lighting for, about 1''' per show. I have found over the last few months that I process & edit them in a very similar way each time and would like to automate this as much as possible by combining a sequence of Lightroom Develop Presets into a single new User Preset. The shots are taken on a Canon 5d with a 7'-2'' f2.8L IS lens at ISO 8'' and usually at f2.8. Here's what I do:

On import I only apply a metadata preset that adds my copyright info, some details about the show, and a few keywords. Fine.
Apply General - Auto Tone Develop Preset
Reset Exposure (Auto Tone increases the Exposure way too much).
Usually Blacks have been Autoset to ', I set this back to 3 or 4 or 5.
Apply General - Punch Develop Preset
Increase Exposure to suit photo, by eye
Adjust Recovery to rescue any blown Highlights
Increase Saturation to +1'
Sync to other similar photos
Crop as required
Repeat for other sets of similar photos
Select for printing, slideshow, web etc.
Job doneI like that applying Auto Tone seems to analyse the histogram of the photo, but hate that the Exposure is usually set way too high.
How can I combine the analysing of the Auto Tone Preset with the General - Punch Preset alongwith an auto Recovery adjustment into a single User Preset, so that I can apply this new User Preset to all my show photos upon import?

Thanks.

Richard Earney
13 Feb 2008, 5:10 am
You can save presets that just affect a small selection of the properties. So just an AutoTone, or just Clarity.

There is no method for performing Macros as yet

Richard Earney
--
http://inside-lightroom.com

JBtheLD
13 Feb 2008, 12:18 pm
Thank you Richard for your reply.
I've had a look at your link which refreshed what I had previously learned about Presets. Would you mind answering a couple of further questions:
How does the Auto Tone Preset actually do it's stuff?
Does the order of applying several Presets make any difference to the outcome?
Does the Lightroom General - Punch preset analyse the histogram of each photo it is applied to, or does it apply the same values to all photos every time?
Thanks,

John

Mark Sirota
13 Feb 2008, 10:17 pm
Does the order of applying several Presets make any difference to the outcome?
No.

Does the Lightroom General - Punch preset analyse the histogram of each photo it is applied to, or does it apply the same values to all photos every time?
Same every time. All it does is set Clarity to 5' and Vibrance to 25.

Richard Earney
14 Feb 2008, 9:07 am
Auto Tone simply provides an Auto adjustment, so on Exposure it will generally maximise the range of exposure levels.

It will work well for some images and will be awful on others

Richard Earney
--
http://inside-lightroom.com

JBtheLD
14 Feb 2008, 9:54 am
Mark & Richard,
Thanks for your replies. I guess I'm clearer about this now - what I was hoping was that I could create a User Preset that would make my RAW files "pop" automatically, based on the content of each photo i.e. just as Auto Tone seems to dynamically and automatically adjust the exposure based on each photo's histogram.

I have a fantastic Photoshop Action (which I purchased) that reads each photo (jpegs only) analyses the histogram and then modifies the exposure, contrast etc. to make each photo really "zing". So I can quickly batch process a folder of images automatically.

I guess that's what I'm hoping to be able to do in Lightroom.
Could I use the Snapshot facility to achieve any of this? i.e. process one photo from a show and then apply similar relative adjustments to the rest of the shoot?

many thanks,

John

Mark Sirota
14 Feb 2008, 10:40 am
Sadly, no -- at this time, it is not possible to do relative adjustments with presets, and Auto Tone is the only dynamic image analyzer type adjustment available.

I have personally submitted (months ago) a feature request for relative adjustments in presets. Please consider submitting one (http://www.adobe.com/support/feature.html) yourself...

JBtheLD
14 Feb 2008, 11:21 am
Mark,
I'll submit a feature request as you suggest and in the meantime many thanks,

John

RobTesnear
4 May 2008, 12:29 pm
I have a fantastic Photoshop Action (which I purchased) that reads each photo (jpegs only) analyses the histogram and then modifies the exposure, contrast etc. to make each photo really "zing". So I can quickly batch process a folder of images automatically.John

Hi John,

Would you share some info on this Photoshop action? Where can I demo/purchase it? Sounds very helpful for an automated workflow process.

Thanks,

Rob

JBtheLD
5 May 2008, 4:04 am
Hi Rob,

The action is called the Retouching Action Pad. I purchased it from a fantastic photographer called Wayne Capald at www.pictureweddings.co.uk (http://www.pictureweddings.co.uk)

Email: info@pictureweddings.co.uk (info@pictureweddings.co.uk)

Tel: '1244-3''266
Mobile: '777'-21'475

I'm sure Wayne would be pleased to hear from you.

John