PDA

View Full Version : LR to FB using LR 3.2 - CAPTIONS or TITLES????

liquidmonkey
13 Aug 2010, 11:41 am
just noticed that in 3.2, there is a LR to FB feature, very nice!anyone tried it yet?do the captions follow with the pics?

sizzlingbadger
13 Aug 2010, 5:06 pm
Why not test it out and let us all know :-)

liquidmonkey
15 Aug 2010, 9:20 am
Why not test it out and let us all know :-)
alright then :D
this post can be a bit confusing with the mention of LR, FB, win7, CAPTION, TITLE so i hope everyone understands.

so just spent some time with the Facebook feature on LR3.2 and here are my findings (and feel free to chime in with your own)...
- its a bit hard to find in the beginning as its at the very bottom left in library mode under publishing services- setup is easy and straightforward- i found how LR, win7 and FB handle CAPTIONS to be VERY DIFFERENT unfortunately :icon_frown: - LR has TITLE and CAPTIONS and i always thought captions was where you put your photo description stuff. have never used the title and have yet to think of a reason as to why its there, maybe u can enlighten me :)
- win7 has TITLE and SUBJECT and COMMENTS when you right click and choose properties. i found that in LR the equals are TITLE and CAPTION (in that order). i could not find a COMMENTS in the metadata in LR.
- FB has an area under each photo which is titled CAPTIONS but in fact, when you use LR to publish your photos, FB uses the TITLE from LR which is VERY RETARDED as it should use the CAPTION IMO!!! i'm not sure who is to blame but either LR or FB are going against the grain on this one :(
- the COMMENTS part in win7 is totally ignored by FB.
- i also noticed that when there is no TITLE given in LR for a photo and it is exported to my computer, win7 automatically places the CAPTION info from LR into the TITLE for win7 BUT when published to FB using the usual ADD PHOTO method in FB, neither of the TITLE or CAPTION are put into the caption box that FB has.
so whats my problem?my problem is that there should be a way to upload photos to FB and have some sort of consistency when it comes to adding captions to photos.
as it is now, i add CAPTIONS to my photos in LR but in order for that CAPTION information to get published in FB, i also need to copy that text into the TITLE section in LR.
so is the TITLE section in LR really meant to be for a photos description or is that meant to go in the CAPTION part as i originally assumed?
either way, something is fishy here ::)

liquidmonkey
15 Aug 2010, 9:31 am
just noticed something else too.
in the LR PUBLISHING MANAGER when u edit your facebook service,
under FACEBOOK TITLE it says SET FACEBOOK TITLE USING and gives 3 choices.
first, facebook has nothing called title in the photos, only for the album name so it should say SET FACEBOOK CAPTION USING.
second, one of the choices is IPTC TITLE which should really be the IPTC CAPTION to keep naming consistant with what FB uses.

Mark Sirota
15 Aug 2010, 4:12 pm
LR is a bit goofy with Title. Title is an IPTC field that is roughly analagous to filename; it's not meant to be a short subject of the image content (that's the Headline field).

It bothers me (and many others) that Lightroom gives such prominence to Title, and short shrift to Headline. I have an open feature request to fix this; if you agree, please file one yourself using the link in the blue bar at the top of the page.

All that said, I haven't played with the built-in Facebook publisher, as I use Jeffrey's.

sizzlingbadger
15 Aug 2010, 5:24 pm
good work Liquidmonkey !

liquidmonkey
16 Aug 2010, 3:12 am
All that said, I haven't played with the built-in Facebook publisher, as I use Jeffrey's.

thanks for that tip, jeffreys plug-in actually uses the CAPTION and thats exactly what LR should do. a pity really to let such a tiny detail ruin such a good idea but at the end of the day, its a fairly big sticking point.

i'll use jeffreys until LR gets their sh*t together :)
ps, i wish jeffreys allowed the creation of photo albums though. its tough to have your cake and eat it too i suppose :)

ukbrown
17 Aug 2010, 4:14 pm
It does though pick up comments people have made and feed them into LR

I set the filename to be Caption so that displays on each photo in FB now bottom left. Bit more experimenting needed

barkleyc
30 Aug 2010, 4:15 am
i'll use jeffreys until LR gets their sh*t together :)
ps, i wish jeffreys allowed the creation of photo albums though. its tough to have your cake and eat it too i suppose :)

jeffrey's Plugins are awesome, but they aren't free, just trial.

I don't understand why we can only use IPTC title to upload to FACEBOOK. Adobe should fix it.

Now I use the file name as pictures' title, and use IPTC captions as file's name.
But it always shows ".jpg" in the title on facebook.

What a stupid LR.