PDA

View Full Version : "Painting" color with the Local Adjustment Brush

b_gossweiler
23 Jun 2010, 2:06 am
I recently tried to change the color of a white area in a photo by use of the local adjustment brush, "painting" in color.

I've never used the color option with the local adjustment brush so far, but all I get is a light tint of the color I'm applying. Is there a way to increase the density of what's applied, so it gets more solid? Or do I have to go into a pixel editor to achieve this?

Thanks for the hints
Beat

sizzlingbadger
23 Jun 2010, 2:18 am
Pixel editor would probably be best, but you can try selecting a new brush and painting over again. You can do this several times with brushes and 'build up' the effect.

Mark Sirota
23 Jun 2010, 9:23 am
Right, you can't paint over white using the adjustment brush. That's because it is designed to preserve the luminance of the spot being painted, which is helpful when painting a color over an unevenly-lit surface.

So this is a job for a pixel editor.

b_gossweiler
23 Jun 2010, 12:16 pm
Thanks, I'll do it with PSE then.

Beat

Brad Snyder
23 Jun 2010, 1:46 pm
Here's the best explanation of color painting I've come across: http://lightroomkillertips.com/2''8/video-the-adjustment-brush-color-swatch/

b_gossweiler
23 Jun 2010, 3:54 pm
Thanks, Brad, a good explanation of what's happening.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work with white as the base color though, which I don't really understand. Neither 1''% nor -1''% saturation show any color, not even a cast.

Beat

Mark Sirota
23 Jun 2010, 3:59 pm
Try taking a picture of a car (complete with deep shadows and bright reflections), then paint it a different color with the adjustment brush. Then it'll all make sense...

b_gossweiler
23 Jun 2010, 4:19 pm
I can see that it makes sense the way it works, Mark. It just means that I cannot use it for what I wanted it, being replacing the white border around an image with another color.

Thanks, Beat

sizzlingbadger
23 Jun 2010, 5:07 pm
could you crop it out and then add a new border on export with mogrify ?

b_gossweiler
23 Jun 2010, 5:24 pm
could you crop it out and then add a new border on export with mogrify ?

Unfortunately, it's not that straight :( I was working on a old scan from an album, and wanted to change the color of the background from the album (see below). But never mind, I can do it in PSE, I just wondered about how the color swatch is supposed to work, and with the quoted video, I now understand a lot more about it.

Beat

P.S: ... and no, no one of these two in the photos is me ;)