PDA

View Full Version : Cannot open LR 4 catalogue

markfay
3 May 2012, 1:24 pm
Hi recently bought a new buffalo ext hard drive to have a s a backup to my existing one. They seem to clash and one causes errors on the other - all very odd.

After trying to use them together every time I tried to use the new hard drive it Windows asked me if I would like to ' repair the errors' I said yes and was duly informed that all was now well.
Now when I try and open lightroom I get the message that Lightroom cannot use the catalogue because it is not writeable. but it's not write protected. The only thing I could find that is write protected is the previews folder and even though it was a long shot I took the protection off that but to no avail. I see there is a file called Lightroom 4 Catalog.lrcat.lock, is this anything to do with it or what else could be the problem?

If anybody has a suggestion on why two buffalo would clash I'd be for grateful any help :0)

Mark

clee01l
3 May 2012, 1:40 pm
The Lightroom 4 Catalog.lrcat.lock file is protection against two instances of LR being open at the same time With LR closed normally the files is removed. If your LR application is not running and the file is still there, you may safely delete it (it has a zero Length so it is empty.

How are your Buffalo drives attached and how are they being used to backup each other? Are you using any of the Buffalo software or are these simple USB attached? If you are not using any Buffalo supplied software, what are you using for backup.

How are the drives formatted? (i.e. what file system?) Were they ever used in any other computer? Win7 needs to own the drives before you can write to them.

markfay
3 May 2012, 3:49 pm
Hi Cletus, Thanks for the info about the lock file. I've deleted it but the problem persists. The drives are connected to the USB ports on my laptop. One is a 1tb USB 2 and the other the same but USB 3.
The USB 3.0 did install it's own software but I've stopped it working by stopping it starting automatically. I use synctoy to back up between the two but the issue does not seem to be related to synctoy. The drives seem to struggle as soon as both are connected to the laptop. I use the drive on my laptop and also my home PC and have named the drives X and U on both so there should not be any recognition issues. The format is NTFS on the USB 3 and fat 32 on the 2.0
Both my computers are Win7 but the USB 2.0 was used on my home computer when it was XP and my Win 7 laptop without problems.

Mark

clee01l
3 May 2012, 9:53 pm
Mark, I would check permissions on the catalog file. If the catalog file resides on the NTFS formatted drive, One and Only one computer can 'own' the drive. If the owner is the home PC, then the laptop will only have read permissions on the file or visa versa. LR needs to open the catalog for write each time. Windows7 and NTFS add an additional layer of security and I think this might be what you are encountering. EHDs with FAT32 do not have this extra security and can be opened for both read and write.

b_gossweiler
4 May 2012, 7:50 pm
If the catalog file resides on the NTFS formatted drive, One and Only one computer can 'own' the drive. If the owner is the home PC, then the laptop will only have read permissions on the file or visa versa.

Please not that access is not primarily controlled by ownership, but but the permissions granted on objects, which is 2 different things.

I've written up instructions on how to make a drive write accessible for different Windows users over at the Tips&Tricks section (http://www.lightroomforums.net/showthread.php?15501-Allowing-Win7-Users-Write-Access-to-Volumes-created-under-WinXP).

Beat

markfay
5 May 2012, 4:38 am
many thanks Beat and Cletus. I plugged the USB 3 drive into my home PC last night and it started making the odd clunking noise!. Lightroom would not open until I unplugged the drive and the can't find catalog message came up. I'll try the tips and trips Beat thanks but I'm rapidly losing all faith with Buffalo external drives as both seem to give me problems. I'll give you an update after I've tried some more but thanks so much for your help.